Annual Conference 2023
COST 2023 Annual Meeting & Conference
May 1-5, 2023
The registration deadline for the 2023 Conference is March 31, 2023.
Please register guests separately using the designated Guest Registration Form.
The registration fee for this year's conference is $300. Guest registration is $250. Registration includes meals, transportation, and cultural tours.
Once again, we are pleased to waive the registration fee and accommodation for the duration of the conference for one Receiving Site Coordinator (registered as "Primary") per receiving site. All additional coordinators from each site (registered as "Secondary") will be charged in full upon submission of registration.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you in Ourense!
COST 2023 Call for Presentation Proposals
The COST 2023 Annual Meeting & Conference call for presentation proposals is open now through March 31, 2023.
Please use the COST 2023 Presentation Proposal Form to complete your proposal and secure your spot in the agenda.
Late or incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
Where to Stay
Please make your own hotel reservations
*Please note at this time the venue hotel has not been confirmed. Please watch for updates to lodging information.
The following hotels are all within 10 minutes walking distance from each other. One of them will be the conference venue.
Hotel Barceló Ourense
Address: Rúa Curros Enríquez, 1. Ourense 32003
Phone: On the website, click on the help icon and you will get a list of phone numbers to use depending on which country you are calling from.
Hotel Carrís Cardenal Quevedo
Address: Calle Cardenal Quevedo, 28-30. Ourense 32004
(English version available)
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +34-988 375 523
Price: (no single rooms available)
- Double room single use: €75-€90/night with breakfast
- Double room: €90-€110/night with breakfast
Below you will find resources to help you prepare for the COST 2023 Conference and Meeting. Please contact Anna Abramenka for more information about the Consortium, conference program and meeting agenda.
Travel & Arrival
Plan to fly into Madrid and take a train to Ourense.
Train: If you are coming directly to Ourense from the Airport or if you are staying in Madrid before or after the Conference, the Train station of reference is "Madrid Charmartin". All the trains to/from the north and northwest (Ourense) of the country depart/arrive from/to that train station.
After landing in Madrid Airport.
From the airport: either to your Madrid Hotel or to Madrid Chamartin. Options:
a) Taxi: From every Terminal at the Airport. About €30 flat rate per taxi.
b) Commuter Trains: Airport Terminal 4, Underground level. About €5.50 (stops in Chamartin station, Sol Station -heart of downtown- and Atocha Station -museums-)
c) Metro: Airport Terminal 4, Underground level (similar price to train)
d) Public bus (similar price to train)
Recommended: Taxi or Commuter Train. The train takes about 20 minutes from the Airport train station to Chamartin. Add the time to purchase a ticket and the waiting time.
Hotel Recommendations if staying the night in Madrid
Both are walking distance from Atocha Train station and in the Golden Triangle of Art = Prado, Contemporary and Thyssen-Bornemisza Museums.
1. "Sleep´N Atocha": https://www.sleepnatocha.com/en/rooms/
2. Accor/Ibis chain: https://all.accor.com/gb/city/hotels-madrid-v2418.shtml
Accor/Ibis is a chain and has many locations in Madrid. Prices differ.
From the list, we have used "Hotel Ibis Styles Madrid Prado"
- Get your long distance speed train ticket as soon as they are available for purchase to guarantee a seat at the train at: www.renfe.com.
- Reference the train schedules on the Renfe site for the day of the week you intend to travel.
- You can also reference the schedule for return tickets in the same way.
- Prices for online purchases are "dynamic", they get higher up to the day of departure. For example: an ALVIA train Madrid-Ourense with same day purchase-departure goes for about €45.
- Recommended: any ALVIA trains.
- Once at Chamartin Train Station, you still need to find the platform for your departure. Check the information boards and very important, Ourense/Orense will never be displayed on the boards since it is not the last station in the route. You are likely to see city names such as Pontevedra, Vigo, Lugo, A Coruña, or Ferrol (but never Ourense). To find out which platform you depart, match the departure time and the train number from your ticket to the same information on the board.
- Chamartin station has coffee-shops where you can purchase food and drinks to go. The "restaurant car" at the ALVIA trains has good prices for drinks but food is crappy.
- Finally, remember that COST students do this every time they travel to/from Ourense-Madrid. And many of them do not have experience traveling. :-)
See page 11 of the Ourense Student Handbook for more information about arrival and travel from Madrid to Ourense.
What to Expect
Cultural Tour Information
Conference Program at a Glance
Monday, May 1 (evening)
Tuesday, May 2 (9:00-3:00)
Conference & Meeting
Tuesday, May 2 (10:00-12:00)
Guests: Ourense City Tour
Wednesday, May 3 (all day)
Cultural trip to Santiago de Compostela
Thursday, May 4 (9:00-3:00)
Conference & Meeting
Thursday, May 4 (6:00)
Cultural Trip to Winery Area & Dinner
Friday, May 5 (9:00-3:00)
Conference & Meeting/ School Visits TBD
COST 2023 Annual Conference Agenda
COST 2022 Annual Conference Minutes