LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out information about COVID-19
West Michigan Medical Ethics Conference
Waiting for a Miracle: Religion’s Role in Patient Decision Making
February 22, 2021
David Vessey, Ph.D.
Professor of Philosophy
Grand Valley State University
Title: Waiting For a Miracle: The Big Picture
- Understanding the definition of a religiously influenced decision.
- Describe the usual steps of rational decision making.
- Identify Potential obstacles of communicating medical decision across religious communities.
- Identify different interfaith approaches to common situations faced in health care.
- Recognize respectful approaches to resolving cultural misunderstanding in medical decision making.
P. Douglas Kindschi, PhD (Interfaith panel moderator) (New)
Kauffman Interfaith Institute
Rabbi David Krishef (New)
Congregation Ahavas Israel
Father Mark Przybysz, MA
St Anthony of Padua
Fred Stella (Hindu and Buddhist expert)
West Michigan Hindu Temple in Ada
Pracharak /Temple Outreach Minister
Ali Metwalli, Ph.D. Professor, College of Business
Western Michigan University
Bishop Dennis McMurry, D.Div.
Bishop, senior pastor
Renaissance Church of God in Christ
Joanna Bailey, MDiv, Mercy Health Saint Mary’s (Reflects Change)
Title: When Mystery, Hope, and Medicine Meet at the Bedside
- Recognize the importance of assessing and addressing religion and spirituality in clinical practice
- Describe factors that impede understanding and engagement with religion and spirituality
Ana Iltis (Wake Forest University)
Ryan Nash (The Ohio State University)
David Vessey (GVSU)
Joanna Bailey (Spectrum Health) (Reflects Change)
Dave Rzeszutko, MD (Moderator)
- define characteristics of a religious worldview.
- evaluate approaches to communicating the situation of patients with conflicting values.