Undergraduate Secondary Education Program
Candidates who earn a secondary certificate are eligible to teach in their major and minor content areas, grades 6-12. Secondary content majors and minors are listed below.
In addition to a teachable major and minor, candidates must complete the Education Major Sequence.
Education Major Sequence - Secondary
Candidates must complete the following 39 credit education major. At least one field semester must be completed in a multicultural setting.
Prerequisites - required prior to admission to Teacher Education
- EDF 315 Diverse Perspectives on Education - Credits 3
- PSY 301 Child Development - Credits 3
- EDI 337 Introduction to Learning and Assessment - Credits 3
Flex Course 1 - This course is taken before OR after admission to the College of Education. It must be completed before Student Teaching. Must be a grade B- or higher.
- EDS 379 - Universal Design for Learning: Secondary Credits: 3
Flex Course 2 - This course is taken after admission to the College of Education. It must be completed before Student Teaching. Must be grade of B- or higher.
- EDT 370 - Technology in Education Credits: 3
Teacher Assisting Semester
- EDI 310 Organizing and Managing Classroom Environments - Credits 3
- EDR 321 Content Area Literacy - Credits 3
- EDI 331 Methods and Strategies of Secondary Teaching - Credits 5
Student Teaching Semester
- EDI 431 Student Teaching, Secondary - Credits 8
- EDI 432 Student Teaching, Secondary Content Practicum - Credits 2
- EDF 485 The Context of Educational Issues - Credits 3 (may be taken after EDI 431, but before certification).