Field Placement Requirements
During both teacher assisting and student teaching, students must follow the holiday break schedule designated by the K-12 district for their school placement/assignment, not the GVSU holiday break schedule. Field placements are generally made within a 40-mile radius from campus unless further placement is deemed necessary for suitable supervision and effective use of unit resources.
Teacher Assisting (Courses EDI 330, EDI 331, EDS 332)
Upon meeting the Admissions Requirements and being accepted to Undergraduate Teacher Education, the student will be placed in teacher assisting for the following semester, contingent upon an interview and acceptance by the school administrator. Students who postpone their entrance after admission must reapply as new applicants if they seek readmission.
Student Teaching (Courses EDI 430, EDI 431, EDS 471, EDS 472)
To apply for Student Teaching, students must:
- Submit completed application packet by September 15 for winter placement, February 1 for fall placement.
- Complete Teacher Assisting with a grade of B- or better and positive recommendations.
- Complete EDI 310, and EDR 320 or EDR 321 , with a B- or better.
- Complete EDT 370, and EDS 378 or EDS 379 (elementary and secondary general education students only) with a B- or better.
- Continue to maintain 2.7 GPA overall and in the education major sequence, content area major, minor. Currently, these content area majors require a 3.0 GPA: Art Education, English (major and minor), History (majors and minors), Language Arts, and Social Studies.
- Interview and be accepted by school administrator to student teach in a school.
Students must inform the Associate Director for Placement if they must withdraw from a field placement course. Notification must be immediate and in writing. Failure to do so will result in removal from the program.