Apply for Field Placement
When to Apply
You should apply the semester before you expect to do your first field placement (teacher assisting).
The window to apply for teacher assisting is:
- September 8 - 18, 2020
The window to apply for student teaching is:
- August 1 - 31, 2020
- Download the appropriate application form.
- Save the file to your computer by selecting "SAVE AS" to create your own copy of the file.
- Complete the application by typing your information into the PDF form using Adobe Reader (Adobe Reader prevents errors and other inconveniences that commonly occur in browser-based PDF readers).
- Save your changes.
- Email your completed application packed to the College of Education Student Information and Services Center (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For teacher assisting applicants: Schedule your virtual application meeting during the open application window.
For Questions and Help
If you have questions about any of the forms, please contact the Student Information and Services Center (SISC) at (616) 331-6650 or email email@example.com.
Study Abroad for Field Placement
GVSU's Barbara H. Padnos International Center and the Consortium of Overseas Student Teachers (COST program) have partnered with College of Education faculty to offer a number of programs for education students to study abroad.
Teacher Assisting Application Forms
To apply for Teacher Assisting, you will need to submit these documents:
Students seeking a major in Music Education must apply during the winter semester for fall Teacher Assisting (February 1 deadline).
Students seeking Elementary certification with Special Education endorsements must apply during the winter semester for fall Teacher Assisting (February 1 deadline).
Student Teaching Application Forms
To apply for Student Teaching, please email the following documents by August 31st, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completed Student Teaching Application
- Your up-to-date résumé, with three references, Teacher Assisting experience included (and Student Teaching if Special Education), and current email address.
- If classes are being taken at another college, include a copy of that current course schedule/unofficial transcript with GVSU course equivalencies noted.
Advisor Recommendation Forms and Application Inserts
COE Faculty Advisor Recommendation Form
The COE Advisor Recommendation form will be provided by the COE advisor when students meet with them for their advising appointment. This form is not available online.
CLAS Major Advisor Recommendation Forms
To view and fill-out the recommendation form for Special Education (CSAT,) you must use Adobe Reader (using Adobe Reader prevents errors and other inconveniences present in other PDF readers).
Elementary and Secondary Major Advisor Recommendation Word Form (for faculty who prefer using a Word document instead of the PDF)
This form is also used for students pursuing the Elementary ESL and Spanish minors within the Elementary CSAT program. The completed form should be submitted with the application packet to the College of Education Student Information and Services Center.
The completed form is to be submitted with the application packet to the College of Education Student Information and Services Center.
Professional Recommendation Forms
Submit one recommendation from an unrelated individual who can address your ability as a prospective teacher. NOTE: Recommendations for Special Education students from an unrelated individual should specifically address your ability to work with Special Education students.
Verification of Experience (25 Hours) Forms
Documents 25 hours of experience with children or youth. PLEASE NOTE: Special Education students must have 25 hours of experience working with children or youth with special needs (for example: camp experience, Special Olympics, respite care).
Scholarship Information Note that most scholarship applications are due March 1st or October 15th.