Frequently Asked Questions

The College of Education receives numerous inquiries from post-baccalaureate students who wish to earn teacher certification. Those able to pursue this goal often become our strongest teaching candidates. Post-baccalaureate programs are available at the graduate level in elementary and secondary general education and at the undergraduate level in elementary and secondary general education and elementary special education.

Both programs feature selective admission and require completion of all requirements listed below. However, programs differ in their suitability for individual candidates based on previous academic achievement, prior completion of requirements, life experience, and scheduling flexibility.


Question: If I hold a bachelor's degree, how long does it take to complete certification?
Answer: Length of time varies from one year to three years of full-time study, depending on prior coursework.

Question: Are classes offered part-time? Evenings? Off-campus?
Students following the undergraduate program may attend part-time or full-time on the Allendale campus; evening classes and off-campus offerings are also available, depending on choice of subject area. The graduate program at the Pew Campus (located downtown Grand Rapids) typically requires full-time study with a cohort group for one year. Field courses for both programs, require two semesters of daytime participation.

Question: How can I estimate whether I have already fulfilled some course requirements?
Review the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) online advising website for information about fulfilling course requirements.

Question: How can I obtain more information?
Register to attend one of the information meetings conducted specifically for post-baccalaureate candidates. At the required information session, you will receive materials to help you obtain official advising, apply for university and program admission, and register for state testing.