Unit Head Mailing 2-8-11
- It is time to update the 2011-2011 catalog!
- AWRI Student Internships and scholarships Opportunities
- Career Opportunities for Social Science Graduates
- Darwin Day Events
- MyGVSU Survey Update
- Update: Junior Level Writing requirement
- SS 300 Update
- Important Dates
To ensure your unit's changes to the catalog are included in the 2011-2012 printed version, the Registrar's Office must receive your changes from the unit head no later than Friday, April 1, 2011. Early submissions are welcome. Please email these changes directly to Jerry Montag ( email@example.com) in the Registrar's Office.
To get started, visit www.gvsu.edu/catalogclick on "2011-12 Update Guides" to review the guide(s) to update your unit's section(s). Then follow the directions below:
Begin by referring to your unit's online catalog copy. To find the most recent 2011-2012 version, please go to http://catalog.gvsu.edu. Then, choose "2011-2012 UG and GR Catalog (under construction)" from the drop down menu in the upper right hand corner and hit GO.
Review The Colleges, All Academic Programs A-H, I-Z and/or Faculty Directory A-O, P-Z (on the left task bar) for your appropriate sections to update. If changes are necessary:
- Select all of the content on the page with your cursor and paste it into a Word document for formattingWhen copying the faculty directory, please copy and paste the entire directory into one document
- Enable the track changesfunction found in the Tools (or Review) menu of Word. Any changes you make will now be visible
- Please note the "Program Description" sections under each major or minor and make sure to double check for accurate information such as Web sites, phone numbers, addresses, etc.
- Faculty listing note: Faculty should now be included under the Program Description section. Please include, when appropriate: Chair/Program Director, Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, Instructor, Affiliate Professor, and Visiting Professor.
Make your changes, save the files, and email them to Jerry Montag no later than Friday, April 1, 2011 .
Please do not submit changes to Degree Requirements or Course Listings and Descriptions . When the Registrar's Office receives these changes through the UCC process, we will update the catalog according to the approved UCC documents.
If you have any questions, please contact Jerry Montag or Julia Henshaw in the Registrar's Office at 331-3327.
AWRI is once again offering internships and scholarship opportunities. Details are attached.
I would like you aware of the great opportunity being afforded GVSU by the State of Michigan who is currently recruiting for 500+ jobs in the social sciences area. We thank you, in advance, for the support of your colleges, units and faculty in this extraordinary opportunity for our students.
While official marketing pieces which can be distributed to students (and frankly some specifics on the DHS website) are still in development, I wanted to get you the following information where you could begin spreading the word. I anticipate full materials for distribution which I'm happy to get to you by next week.
OVERVIEW - general overview of openings and recruitment event and how CLAS can help
JOB DESCRIPTION - the full state job description
TIMELINE - specifics for the 3-day recruitment event
If you have questions or need further information, please don't hesitate to contact me. Thank you!
Susan J. Proctor, '98
Assistant Director, Career Services
4. Darwin Day Events (attachment) - Eric Snyder
Two events are scheduled next week to celebrate Darwin Day.
The GVSU Biology Club is sponsoring a presentation by Dr. Carl Bajema (Emeritus Professor of Biology at GVSU) entitled "Charles Darwin, Adaptive Evolution by Selection and Natural Theology (Intelligent Design)" on Tuesday (Feb 8th), 6:30 pm, PAD 308. Please see the attached flier.
Dr. Gary Greer (GVSU Associate Professor of Biology) will be presenting "Micro & Macroeconomics of Endless Forms Most Wonderful" for the Center for Inquiry on Wednesday (Feb 9th), 7-8:30 pm, at the Women's City Club, 254 E. Fulton St., Grand Rapids, MI Details: http://action.centerforinquiry.net/site/R?
Eric B. Snyder, PhD
Associate Professor - Biology
Two additional reminder emails will be going out to all faculty, staff, and students this coming week. However, we think another effective way of "getting the word out" is for individuals and units to use internal mailing lists to also send emails encouraging participation in the myGVSU survey. We feel hearing about the survey from multiple sources will be helpful. Some suggestions for you to consider:
- Correspond with college unit heads and ask that they, in turn, encourage faculty and staff within their units to participate.
- Have office coordinators send emails to all majors and minors.
- Encourage faculty to use class time and/or Blackboard to remind students about the importance of taking the survey. Faculty having access to a computer lab might even consider allowing students to complete the survey during class and/or award participation points to students for completing the survey. With the latter, faculty will need to design a system to track completion (e.g., screen shot of a survey page) as we are unable to confirm participation since the survey is anonymous.
Based on feedback we've heard, most folks have been completing the survey within 20 to 30 minutes. While this may seem like a lot of time, we're hoping that folks will balance that against the importance of letting the university know how it's doing and to share insights on how to make GVSU an even better place than it already is. GVSU has experienced many positive changes over the last 15+ years since we've been doing university climate studies. Many of these are a direct result of individuals taking the time to let their voices be heard. Any efforts you can provide to help individuals to participate will be greatly appreciated. Additional details about the survey, including a list of all of the changes noted above, are available as a talking points card on the survey's website: www.gvsu.edu/mygvsu.
The link to the live survey is https://online.survey.psu.edu/gvsu (and on the 'Thank you' page there is opportunity to enter a drawing for some awesome prizes!).
6. Update: Junior Level Writing requirement (attachment)- Mary Schutten
Over the past week, the University Academic Senate and the Provost approved a proposal from the General Education Committee to eliminate the junior-level writing requirement as of Fall 2011. A letter to students outlines the details of the transition, please share that letter with all faculty advisors.
It's Official! SS 300 will be dropped effective Fall 2011. Most units have developed their transition away from SS 300 [via the curricular system]. Please remind faculty advisors to help students transition to other options.
Feb. 1 -14 My GVSU Survey (Climate Study) http://www.gvsu.edu/mygvsu/
Feb. 9 Unit Head Meeting 2215/2216 KC, 3:00-5:00 Feb. 10 3pm. Getting Experience to Get a Job A-1-167 MAK Feb. 10 Materials for W11 contract renewal due to CPC Feb. 11 Department selection for Phi Kappa Phi due firstname.lastname@example.org Melissa Cunningham
Feb. 11 Undergraduate and Graduate Student selection for honors Normans@gvsu.edu Suzanne Norman
Feb. 15 Facilities RequestDue
Feb. 17 CLAS Research Colloquium 308 PAD, 2:30-5:00
Feb. 17 Materials for W11 Tenure/promo Due to CPC Feb. 18 Student Scholars Day Registration Closes Feb. 19 Awards of Distinction Scholarship Competition CLAS contact Keesha ( email@example.com)
Feb. 21 Banner Opens for Mid-term Grading Feb. 23 Unit Head Meeting 2215/2216 KC, 3:00-5:00 Feb. 23 50th @ Noon Cook DeWitt Center, 12:00-12:45 Feb. 23 Dusty Course Forms Due CLAS Dean's Office Feb. 25 Inclusion Advocate Meeting (required for advocates) Mar. 1 Banner Closes at noon for Mid-term Grades Mar. 1 CLAS Service Award Nominations due CLAS Dean's Office Mar. 1 Personnel Materials (Promotion Only W11) due CPC Mar. 4 Incomplete Grade forms due Mar. 4 AP Award Nominations Due www.GVSU.edu/ap/awards
Mar 7-11 Spring Break Mar. 14 Staffing Plans for S11 Mar. 15 Unit heads will submit CD of electronic copies of FARs, Workload plans, vita to the Dean's Office Keesha (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mar. 15 UH Summary for faculty/AP salary evaluation Pam Kellogg at B-4-232MAK