Field Education Step By Step
- Identify the hazards and assess the risks associated with the field experience
- Identify safety precautions.
- Complete the Field Safety Plan. Provide a copy to your unit head
- Review the Transportation section of this site
- For student-directed research, the student should identify precautions in cooperation with the supervising faculty.
- Communicate the details of the trip to the students
- schedules, expectations, risks associated with travel, safety and emergency procedures, and GVSU liability waivers
- For classroom field trips, this information should be included in the class syllabus
- For travel with students outside a class or for student-directed research, provide students with the safety plan and have them sign a the liability waiver.
- Ensure emergency contact information is up-to-date with the Registrar or have each participant complete the Emergency Contact Information Form.
- Consult the FAQ page and complete the Faculty Checklist for Planning Activities Outside the Classroom for your records.
- Provide appropriate supervision during the field activity, report problems to you Unit Head and follow-up with participants to identify necessary improvements.
FOR STUDENTS TRAVELING OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY:
In addition to the above...
- Contact Padnos International Center
- Review the International Travel Form