Kevin Tutt, PhD
Title: Associate Dean of Curriculum, Pedagogy and Academic Opportunity
Office: B-4-232 MAK
- Assist faculty in the development of innovative curriculum by: serving as ex-officio for the college curriculum committee, proactively reviewing proposals to identify possible issues preventing curricular proposals, connecting authors with related units and records office on curricular developments, and assisting units with curricular concerns and ideas.
- Serve as curricular liaison to the Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Provide authors and units with ideas, data, and instructional techniques that provide inclusive viewpoints in curriculum.
- Promote and report on student learning by: gathering data on high impact learning, categorizing all service learning and internships completed in the college, and inventory all out of state experiential learning.
- Assess the rate of Ds, Fs, and withdrawals for all college courses and provide units with appropriate instructional support or staffing changes, particularly in regards to underrepresented populations and standards of inclusivity.
- Coordinate distribution and implementation of technology as it relates to prerequisite errors, transfer courses, and registration permits.
- Supervise and coordinate with appropriate university departments on all student issues in regards to academic grievances, grades (submission, reports, changes, incompletes, and overdue grades), late course adds, student academic misconduct, student ADA requests, student registration, faculty grievances against students, and removal of students from courses.
- Chair the college student advisory committee, including setting an agenda, inviting nominees, and convening meetings.
- Supervise CLAS Success Collaborative, and college-wide teaching and advising initiatives to increase student persistence, success, and time to graduation.
- Serve as liaison with community college partners and other transfer student initiatives.
Director of Content Teacher Education
- Serve as liaison with the College of Education, including membership on the joint college committee for education.
- Lead content methods faculty on program design, implementation, and evaluation.
- Supervise creation and submission of SPA and CAEP accreditation documents by content faculty.
- Promote communication and collaboration between content and education faculty.
Assessment and Accreditation
- Review and approve all department assessment plans ensure consistency, appropriateness, and effectiveness of planned outcomes in regards to unit, college, and university goals.
- Review and provide feedback to degree programs on assessments of student learning goals.
- Ensure college documents, including course syllabi, assessment reports, and strategic plans meet criteria for accreditation by individual program associations and the Higher Learning Commission.
Kevin Tutt is the Associate Dean for Curriculum, Pedagogy and Academic Opportunities for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. He is also a Professor in the Department of Music and Dance where he conducts the Symphonic Wind Ensemble.
Prior to his appointment at GVSU, Dr. Tutt held teaching positions at Brandon University, in Brandon, MB, The Pennsylvania State University in University Park, PA, Bucknell University in Lewisburg, PA and the Central Dauphin School District in Harrisburg, PA. He has been a guest conductor, clinician and consultant for all levels of ensembles and public school programs in the United States and Canada.
Dr. Tutt holds degrees in conducting and music education from The Pennsylvania State University. His recent professional interests include: teacher evaluation policies in the arts, the impact of arts advocacy, and the evaluation of Teacher Preparation Institutions. His publications have appeared in the Music Educators Journal, Journal of Band Research, Arts Education Policy Review, Research Perspectives in Music Education, Visions of Research in Music Education and Michigan Music Educator and he has been an invited presenter at regional and national music conferences. Currently, he serves as the policy and advocacy chair for the Michigan Music Educators Association.