GVSU Credit/No Credit Policy...Updated Winter 2020

About GVSU’s Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) Policy

GVSU’s Credit/No Credit policy allows undergraduate students to request to receive a grade of CR if they perform at a grade level of C or better, while students receive a grade of NC for poorer performance.  (For graduate courses, a performance of B or better is required for CR.)

Normally, students can request to make a course CR/NC only during the first week of the semester.  During Winter 2020, as a result of the COVID-19 Emergency Policy, requests could also be made March 16-31 and May 1-15.  Any Winter 2020 CR/NC grades will not count towards the 10 hours maximum or toward the 25 percent maximum in the policy.  In addition, for Winter 2020 semester only, changes from CR/NC to a letter grade will be allowed.  For Winter 2020 only, a grade of CR/NC will be allowed to replace a previous grade for the same course as long as a student is not required to have a letter grade for the course.

CR/NC to Letter

Change from a Letter Grade to Credit/No Credit

  1. For each course request, the student must complete the online form and choose “Submit”.  (The form that will be available here at the end of April.)  All submissions must be made by 5 p.m. on May 15.  Late submissions will not be considered.
  2. The form will automatically be forwarded to the appropriate faculty or professional advisor for consideration.
  3. The faculty or professional advisor will review the form and may contact you with questions.  Some requests may be denied based on restrictions due to accreditation requirements, secondary admission requirements, or other considerations.
  4. Students will be notified of the decision by e-mail no later than May 21

Please note:
The majority of the College of Health Professions undergraduate majors and graduate programs require all prerequisite courses to be completed with LETTER (A, B, C) or NUMERICAL (4.0, 3.0, 2.0) grades. Prerequisite courses completed with Pass/Fail or Credit/No credit will not fulfill the program’s admissions requirements. 

Please be aware that you must obtain a "C" or better grade in order to obtain credit for the course. If you receive a "C-" with credit/no credit you will not receive any credit for the course and will lose 3 credits. Also, be mindful that while a "D" is not ideal, it is a passing grade.


letter grade to credit no credit

Change from Credit/No Credit to Letter Grade


  • If a student switched a course to CR/NC in January or March, the instructor can only assign CR or NC on April 28. 
  • The option to switch back to a letter grade is only available for courses that normally receive a letter grade.
  1. As soon as possible and no later than May 10, the student should ask the instructor what letter grade they earned.
  2. As soon as possible and no later than 5 p.m. on May 15, the student must notify the instructor of their request to receive a letter grade instead of CR/NC.
  3. As soon as possible and no later than 5 p.m. on May 22, the instructor will use a special grade change form (available at the end of April) to enter the letter grade.
  4. No later than June 1, students will be notified of the change by e-mail



required forms


Complete (required)...Click on the link below and submit Credit/No Credit request form....

CR/NC Form 


Email an Advisor (optional)...if you elect this change we recommend you discuss your plan with a CHP advisor.

Email Advisor


Important Notes:

Undergraduate Program Professional Courses: courses within our secondary admit programs are typically not eligible for Credit/No Credit. Students considering this option should connect with the director of their program for approval. 

Graduate students...there are separate rules from the Graduate School, depending on the program.  Please contact your graduate program with any questions.