Study Abroad in Porto, Portugal 2023
European Innovation Academy Porto 2022 Highlight
Study Abroad in Porto, Portugal with European Innovation Academy (EIA)!
GVSU students interested in entrepreneurship and innovation join other students from around the world to create a start-up venture in Portugal for 3 weeks during the summer.
- Students earn 3 credit hours, as transfer credit from Universidade do Porto (Portugal) as either MGT 499 or ENT 350
- The course also fulfills one Issues and Global Perspectives general education requirement.
- Business students may apply for a Seidman Study Abroad scholarship, on myScholarships
- Other scholarships and grants are available through the Padnos International Center.
- Take another 3 credit spring class, and qualify for financial aid!
- Designed for all students, ideal for those in business, engineering, and computing & information systems
For more information on EIA:
Visit EIA's Website https://www.inacademy.eu/portugal/
January 30, 2023
Have Questions? Contact:
Shorouq Almallah, Director for The Richard M. and Helen DeVos Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation
EIA Industry Partners & Representatives
Who Should Apply?
GVSU students who:
- Have a passion for entrepreneurship, and a drive for innovation
- Have tenacity and dedication to achieving course learning objectives
- Are willing to work on a multicultural team
- Have basic knowledge of Lean Startups
- Have tolerance and adaptability to cultural diversity
Expected Student Profile:
Students from all majors are welcome, with a particular emphasis on those with entrepreneurial, IT, software engineering, marketing, or other business backgrounds.
Each team has five students and will be comprised of the following disciplines:
- Software, mobile or web development
- Design-UI/UX design
- Digital marketing and growth hacking
- Various Business fields
- Scientist & Other
GVSU Lakers with EIA Teammates, 2019
Host & Dates
Transcript from: Universidade do Porto (Portugal)
1 week: July 9 to July 15, 2023, online before the start of the program.
3 weeks: July 16 to August 4, 2023, study abroad in Portugal.
• Turn an idea into a tech startup in 15 days.
• Participate in interdisciplinary teams with top talent from around the world, a networking opportunity students would not want to miss.
• Work with mentors from companies such as Google, Amazon, TikTok, Spotify, Nixon Peabody, Santander, and more.
• 450 participants, 60 mentors and speakers, and 90 teams, representing 70 nationalities in 2022.
*Fulfills (1) Issues course & Global Perspectives
• Students will earn a total of 3 transfer credits from Universidade do Porto in Portugal. Students can choose to receive either MGT 499 or ENT 350 credit.
Fees and Expenses
Program fee: €1,699 (Euros)
Convert the cost from Euros to US Dollars
· 3 credits
· On-site coaching
$3800+ (varies based on individual choices and spending)
Students are responsible to purchase the following expenses directly:
· Airfare: $1,200 - $1,800
· Housing: $1000
. Meals: $600-$800
· ISIC card: $28
· Passport/Visa: $145
· Personal Expenses: $500
· IS 380-course fee $84—paid to GVSU
How do I pay to study abroad?
• Students can use financial aid, scholarships, grants, personal funds, and alternative loans to fund their study abroad.
For more information on funding, visit: www.gvsu.edu/studyabroad
Housing Option and Cost
Students are responsible for arranging their own housing for this study abroad program.
Liv Student Porto Single Studio is the option recommended by EIA.
Check-in: July 15 (Friday) - from 9AM
Check-out: August 7 (Sunday) - until 4PM
Washing lounge paid separately, gym, rooftop, swimming pool, movie room, games room, lounge areas, and 24/7 security.
Price: € 995 (Euros)
- Single bed
- Private bathroom
- Desk & chair
- High-speed Wi-Fi
- Weekly cleaning
- Towels & bed linens
- Kitchen Utensils
Liv Student Porto Single Studio Bedroom
Liv Student Porto Single Studio En Suite Bathroom
Eligibility & Application
Wondering if you are an eligible participant?
• Open to all majors. Students must have a 2.5 GPA.
To apply for this study abroad opportunity:
• Apply online at: www.gvsu.edu/studyabroad (Apply as a non-GVSU program)