2019-2020 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Allied Health Sciences - Program Description
Degree Offered: Bachelor of Science in Allied Health Sciences
The B.S. in allied health sciences (AHS) degree serves two functions:
- Prepares students for entry into graduate programs in health professions with preparatory emphases (e.g., prehealth professional emphases preparing students to apply for graduate programs in physician assistant studies and physical therapy).
- Prepares students for a career in the health care field, should students decide not to pursue a graduate level program. Additional emphases are offered to prepare students to advance into a health care career. These include health information and reimbursement and histotechnology. These aforementioned emphases each have a competitive secondary admission requirement for students to meet. Declaration of allied health sciences as a major does not assure acceptance into these emphases. There is also a "general" allied health sciences emphasis, which is not preparatory for any particular graduate or specific undergraduate career route. It is for those who are truly undecided about their health career path. It is strongly recommended that all students discuss their options with their assigned advisor to determine what emphasis to select.
Allied Health Sciences Goals
- Prepare students with an educational foundation to succeed in the allied health sciences professions.
- Instill in students the general abilities required for professional conduct.
- Instill in students the critical thinking and problem-solving skills necessary to be effective in providing interventions and services.
- Instill in students the understanding of the role of research and scientific inquiry as applied to the practice, education, and leadership of their chosen profession.
Grand Valley State University is ideally suited to educate a wide variety of health care professionals. The university's geographic location, access to high quality clinical environments, strong relationships with the regional medical education community, excellent faculty, supportive administration, experience in the education of health care professionals, and a growing student population all combine to form an ideal environment for allied health care professional education programs.
The following program is available: