Experience first-hand the life of a professional! The World of Work (W.O.W.) Exploration Program is a one-day, full-immersion exploration program that exposes students to the world of work. The program will introduce you to professional work culture as well as career opportunities that relate to your interests and skills.
How It Works
- Complete an application, including a resume and cover letter indicating your reason(s) for participating in this program.
- Need help with your resume or cover letter? Stop by the Career Center during Time For Tens (walk-ins) or schedule an appointment with a Career Advisor.
- Select an employer and attend a W.O.W. Preparation Workshop.
- Spend a day (or days) during W.O.W. week at the worksite of your selected employer(s), exploring the world of work and meeting new professionals.
- Attend a wrap-up breakfast on Friday, May 4, to share and reflect on your experiences.
- Review participating employer information: Winter 2018
- Application opens: January 2018
- Application due: March 2, 2018
- Select desired employer(s): March 12 - March 23, 2018
- Attend W.O.W. Preparation Workshop: April 13, 2018 from 1:00 - 2:00 pm
- Confirmation details sent to participating students and employers: April 23, 2018
- Explore the world of work at employer sites: April 30 - May 3, 2018
- Attend wrap up and reflection breakfast: May 4, 2018
Important Things To Know
- Ask A LOT of questions! This is a great opportunity to learn about various industries and interest areas as well as meet with professionals. Feel free to bring resumes as well (though this is not required).
- This is a full-day immersion and you will be on-site from approximately 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Lunch will be provided.
- Every organization has a unique culture and set of expectations. Please adhere to any required dress and/or visitor code(s) which will be provided in the confirmation details.
- You are responsible for your own transportation to and from the employer(s) site. Many sites are located on the GR Rapid bus route- fare is free with your GVSU student ID.
- As a representative of GVSU, students will be held to the student code and Career Center no show policy.