World of Work (W.O.W.) Career Exploration
Experience first-hand the life of a professional! The World of Work (W.O.W.) Career Exploration Program is a one-day, full-immersion exploration program that exposes students to the world of work. The program will introduce you to professional work culture as well as career opportunities that relate to your interests and skills.
How It Works
- Complete an application (you will need to upload your resume as part of the application).
- Need help with your resume? Stop by the Career Center during CareerLab (drop-ins) or schedule an appointment with a Career Advisor.
- Select an employer and visit the CareerLab for personalized tips on how to make a great impression.
- Spend the day at the worksite of your selected employer, exploring the world of work and meeting new professionals.
- Review participating employer information: Early Fall 2019
- Application opens: September 2019
- Application due: November 8, 2019
- Select desired employer: November 11 - November 13, 2019
- Visit CareerLab for preparation information: November 11 - November 21, 2019
- Confirmation details sent to participating students and employers: November 18, 2019
- Explore the world of work at employer site: November 22, 2019
Important Things To Know
- Ask A LOT of questions! This is a great opportunity to learn about various industries and interest areas as well as meet with professionals. Feel free to bring resumes as well (though this is not required).
- This is a full-day immersion and you will be on-site from approximately 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Lunch will be provided.
- Every organization has a unique culture and set of expectations. Please adhere to any required dress and/or visitor code(s) which will be provided in the confirmation details.
- You are responsible for your own transportation to and from the employer site. Many sites are located on the GR Rapid bus route- fare is free with your GVSU student ID. If transportation is a concern, please contact the Career Center.
- As a representative of GVSU, students will be held to the student code and Career Center no show policy.
Below are the participating employers from Winter 2019. Please check back in September for Fall 2019 participants.
Hello West Michigan promotes West Michigan as a place where business thrives and people want to live and work. We seek to increase the rate of success member companies have in their efforts to recruit top talent. Through collaborations with other businesses and organizations, we help new residents find their fit in the region.
HexArmor® is an industry leading manufacturer of high performance personal protective equipment (PPE) for your hands, arms, and body. At HexArmor®, we believe safety is not a luxury – it’s a necessity. Since day one, we have worked hand-in-hand with our customers to deliver innovative and effective PPE solutions to keep workers safe, and have done so, breaking new ground in cut, puncture, needle, and abrasion resistance, all without sacrificing dexterity.
At Hope Network, the people we serve may share a setback, a condition, a diagnosis, or need. However, each is unique. Each is on a personal journey. We meet them on that journey. Then we take on some of life's toughest challenges-together. We offer more than a list of services. We offer more than an expert approach. We offer the ability to overcome. We serve 240 plus communities, with 2800 staff members, to more than 20,000 people annually throughout Michigan.
Pine Rest is one of the largest free-standing behavioral health providers in the nation. A nonprofit organization founded in 1910, the staff includes over 80 psychiatrists and doctors, 120+ psychologists, 250+ licensed masters-level social workers, and many talented RNs and Psychiatric Technicians who ensure only the best care is provided to our patients. Pine Rest offers inpatient hospitalization in our 225 bed hospital, outpatient counseling, addiction treatment and Community & Residential programs for at-risk youth, the homeless, and many more.
Our mission is to provide a loving and spiritual community for older adults to live lives of caring and wholeness, inspired by our Carmelite foundation of fraternity, service and prayer. We provide Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing Care, Rehabilitation, Alzheimer's care, and Hospice. Our team of dedicated caregivers are consistently rated among the best in the area and St. Ann’s continues to earn overall CMS five-star quality ratings. Each staff member works diligently to provide world-class care and unforgettable experiences every day.
Employer Listing Updated Daily