World of Work (W.O.W.) Career Exploration
Experience first-hand the life of a professional! The World of Work (W.O.W.) Career Exploration Program is a one-day, full-immersion exploration program that exposes students to the world of work. The program will introduce you to professional work culture as well as career opportunities that relate to your interests and skills.
“They made us feel very welcome, and the work environment was very inviting.”Participating Student
How It Works
- Complete an application (you will need to upload your resume as part of the application).
- Need help with your resume? Stop by the Career Center during CareerLab (drop-ins) or schedule an appointment with a Career Advisor.
- Select an employer and visit the CareerLab for personalized tips on how to make a great impression.
- Spend the day at the worksite of your selected employer, exploring the world of work and meeting new professionals.
- Review participating employer information: Fall 2019
- Application opens: September 3, 2019
- Application due: November 8, 2019
- Select desired employer: November 11 - November 13, 2019
- Visit CareerLab for preparation information: November 11 - November 21, 2019
- Confirmation details sent to participating students and employers: November 18, 2019
- Explore the world of work at employer site: November 22, 2019
Important Things To Know
- Ask A LOT of questions! This is a great opportunity to learn about various industries and interest areas as well as meet with professionals. Feel free to bring resumes as well (though this is not required).
- This is a full-day immersion and you will be on-site from approximately 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Lunch will be provided.
- Every organization has a unique culture and set of expectations. Please adhere to any required dress and/or visitor code(s) which will be provided in the confirmation details.
- You are responsible for your own transportation to and from the employer site. Many sites are located on the GR Rapid bus route- fare is free with your GVSU student ID. If transportation is a concern, please contact the Career Center.
- As a representative of GVSU, students will be held to the student code and Career Center no show policy.
Please check back often as participating employers change daily.
Founded in 2006, Coyote Logistics, a UPS company, is a leading global transportation and logistics service provider, responsible for coordinating and moving goods bought and consumed every day. Coyote is fiercely dedicated to delivering unprecedented customer service. Powered by proprietary technology, smart people, and unrivaled commitment, Coyote is successful because of its No Excuses® mission to provide shippers and carriers with the best service in the industry.
*Please note: This employer is based in Detroit, Michigan.
Hello West Michigan promotes West Michigan as a place where business thrives and people want to live and work. We seek to increase the rate of success member companies have in their efforts to recruit top talent. Through collaborations with other businesses and organizations, we help new residents find their fit in the region.
Pine Rest is one of the largest free-standing behavioral health providers in the nation. A nonprofit organization founded in 1910, the staff includes over 80 psychiatrists and doctors, 120+ psychologists, 250+ licensed masters-level social workers, and many talented RNs and Psychiatric Technicians who ensure only the best care is provided to our patients. Pine Rest offers inpatient hospitalization in our 225 bed hospital, outpatient counseling, addiction treatment and Community & Residential programs for at-risk youth, the homeless, and many more.
SpartanNash is a Fortune 400 company whose core businesses include distributing grocery products to a diverse group of independent and chain retailers, its corporate-owned retail stores and U.S. military commissaries and exchanges; as well as premier fresh produce distribution and fresh food processing. SpartanNash serves customer locations in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, Europe, Cuba, Puerto Rico and more. We practice our cultural values every day: One Team, Speak Up, Embrace Change, Totally Align, Drive Innovation, and Own It!
TGG Solutions provides customer-centered business solutions. We specialize in insurance, billing and enrollment services. We listen to our customers’ needs and innovate solutions to help them expand their business. We have been an industry partner for over 50 years, gaining knowledge, experience and expertise. Our executive leadership team is committed to our associates’ growth and continuous education. We provide our associates with a culture of integrity, respect, courage, excellence, diversity, innovation and stewardship.
Employer Listing Updated Daily