Resumes and Cover Letters
Individual resume and cover letter review appointments are available to all students, graduate and undergraduate, and alumni. Bring the most up-to-date copy of your resume or cover letter to your appointment. Please call (616) 331-3311 to schedule an appointment with an advisor or walk in during Time for Ten!
Effective resumes get noticed because they:
- Emphasize relevant accomplishments and potential contributions
- Focus on the skills necessary in a particular field
- Are concise, well-organized, easy to read, and look polished and professional
- Grab the reader’s attention by listing the most relevant information toward the top
- Are designed well, and have a good balance of white space and text
What does NOT belong on a resume:
- Reference list: This should be on a separate sheet UNLESS your resume is two pages and you have room left on the second page.
- Salary history/expectations: This will be discussed in a later interview or in a job offer setting.
- Irrelevant personal information: Do not include age, marital status, religion, national origin, Social Security number, or health status.
- Photograph: Though you may think this will make you more memorable, some companies cannot accept resumes with photos due to Equal Opportunity Employment (EOE) regulations.