Visit www.gvsu.edu/lakerstogether for more.
Remote Career Center Services
We know that many of you are thinking about future internships and jobs—and aren’t quite sure what to do now that in-person career events are suspended. We’re here to reassure you that just because most work is moving online, it doesn’t mean you need to stop planning internships, engaging with potential employers, and applying for jobs. This page provides resources to help you leverage the remote systems we offer to help you with active exploration of career opportunities.
Virtual CareerLab and Remote Resume Reviews
Consult with Career Center staff live during Virtual CareerLab! A staff member will be available via BB Collaborate to answer career questions and assist with resume/cover letter reviews during the following times:
Monday thru Friday, 2pm - 4pm
The GVSU Career Center has moved all operations to a remote format. To comply with state mandates and public health guidelines regarding social distancing, the GVSU Career Center will be offering remote and phone appointments only at this time. Log into Handshake to schedule an appointment. Once you’ve selected your desired appointment category and type, you’ll see an option to select either a Phone Appointment or Remote Appointment medium in the upper right corner of your screen. If you need further assistance, please call (616) 331-3311.
- Phone appointments: your advisor will contact you at the time and phone number you provide when you schedule your appointment through Handshake.
- Remote appointments: click the Zoom URL link provided in your appointment confirmation email. You will be connected with your advisor once they also join the Zoom appointment.
- Please download the Zoom application to your desktop or phone any time prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Uploading resumes/documents: if you would like to review your resume, cover letter, personal statement or other application materials, please upload documents to Handshake prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Cancelling appointments: should you need to cancel your appointment at any time, simply log into Handshake, click the Career Center link in the top navigation, select Appointments, and the "Cancel Appointment" button in the desired appointment.
If you'd rather a Career Center staff member review your resume or cover letter via email, email it as an attachment to email@example.com. We will be happy to reply with comments within three business days. Please include your name, major, and how you hope to use your resume in the email.
Continue Connecting with Employers
- Search internship and jobs in Handshake. We continue to get numerous postings each day.
- Look into high demand industries. While it may not seem safe for everyone to work right now, the reality is, some people have to. There are plenty of organizations looking to fill positions right now. The Right Place has created a list of organizations with immediate hiring needs.
- Attend online events: We are encouraging employers to shift events they host online. Visit the Handshake events page and search for events marked as a “virtual session” event type.
- Follow employers you’re interested in: By following an employer, you’ll be alerted when they post an upcoming online event.
- Fill out your online profile: Did you know that 80% of students who fill out location preferences, job role preferences, and job type preferences receive a message from an employer? It’s a simple step, but a really effective way to start engaging with potential employers online. Here’s a quick guide to getting the most out of your Handshake profile.
- Learn from your peers: Read employer reviews on Handshake to learn more about what it’s like to intern or work at a specific company. Or, use Peer Messaging to chat with alumni or other students with your major, or even to conduct informational interviews online. Check out this guide out to learn more about how to learn from other students on Handshake.