Connect with Career Center
From orientation to graduation and beyond, there are many ways to connect with the Career Center! Virtual CareerLab is a great place to "drop-in" with a quick career question, resume/cover letter review, and more. Individual appointments are also available and can be scheduled through Handshake, or by calling 616-331-3311. In addition, keep an eye out for a wide range of events, offering professional development and employer connections.
Virtual CareerLab and Remote Resume Reviews
Meet with Career Center staff live during Virtual CareerLab! CareerLab is an informal space to ask career-related questions and review your resume/cover letter.
Fall 2020 Hours (when classes are in session)
Monday thru Thursday, 11am - 7pm
Friday, 11am - 4pm
Sunday, 5pm - 8pm
What to Expect with Virtual CareerLab
- A relaxed, informal space to chat with a career advisor about any questions you may have related to resumes, internships, cover letters, the job search, and more.
- You don't have to share your video if you don't feel comfortable; instead, simply use your audio or even just use the chat feature to ask a quick question!
- Don't worry about any noise being in the background! We know working virtually from home may come with distractions and noises.
If you'd rather a Career Center staff member review your resume or cover letter via email, send it as an attachment to email@example.com. We will be happy to reply with comments within three business days. Please include your name, major, and how you hope to use your resume in the email.
To comply with state mandates and public health guidelines regarding social distancing, the GVSU Career Center will be offering virtual and phone appointments only at this time. Log into Handshake to schedule an appointment. Once you’ve selected your desired appointment category and type, you’ll see an option to select either a Phone Appointment or Zoom Appointment medium in the upper right corner of your screen. If you need further assistance, please call (616) 331-3311.
- Phone appointments: your advisor will contact you at the time and phone number you provide when you schedule your appointment through Handshake.
- Zoom appointments: click the Zoom URL link provided in your appointment confirmation email. You will be connected with your advisor once they also join the Zoom appointment.
- Please download the Zoom application to your desktop or phone any time prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Uploading resumes/documents: if you would like to review your resume, cover letter, personal statement or other application materials, please upload documents to Handshake prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Cancelling appointments: should you need to cancel your appointment at any time, simply log into Handshake, click the Career Center link in the top navigation, select Appointments, and the "Cancel Appointment" button in the desired appointment.