Whether you are interviewing, in a structured meeting, or informally interacting with professionals - you are exchanging information and developing contacts that will help to further your career.
Best Ways to Prepare
- Review your resume and be ready to talk about your experiences
- Become familiar with the STAR model when giving examples of your accomplishments: Situation - Task - Action - Result
- Discuss your career goals with a mentor or an advisor
- Learn all you can about a person or a company before you meet them
- Utilize your personal contacts and LinkedIn connections to investigate beyond the company website
- Dress to impress! Select professional attire early and make sure it is clean, pressed and fits well
- Simulated Interviews - Develop powerful interviewing strategies through a practice one-on-one interviewing session and receive constructive feedback from a Career Center advisor. Call 616-331-3311 to schedule your appointment today.
- Big Interview- GVSU's online tool that allows you to record yourself in practice interviews. Also has a TON of helpful resources! Check out these tips before getting started.
- Top Ten Interview Questions from Big Interview
- Practice Interview Worksheet
- Interview Essentials article
- On-campus Interviews - Sign up to interview with employers on campus
- Helpful interviewing information from our Pinterest page
LinkedIn is a powerful networking tool that can help you:
- Build your online brand
- Connect with recruiters and companies and search for jobs
- Grow your network of professional contacts
New to LinkedIn? Here are some resources to get you started. And be sure to check out Grand Valley State University’s LinkedIn page. Here, you can view all of our alumni who are on LinkedIn, as well as see where they live and work, and what they do: