I Have a Major, Now What?
Selecting a major is a great start to your career plan, but it doesn't end there. There are many ways a major can be applied to the world of work. Taking advantage of the steps below can help you discover where you'd like to land after GVSU!
1-2 quality experiences each semester can help you explore yourself and career opportunities. Not sure where to start? Consider these options:
- Check out Campus Life Night to find an organization you would like to join. Social clubs and pre-professional clubs are a great way to connect and build your skill sets.
- Seek on campus employment. You can make some extra cash and build your resume.
- Stop by the Community Service Learning Center to find volunteer and leadership opportunities connected to your interests.
- Be intentional with how you use your summers. This is a great time to test out options through work, volunteer, or research opportunities.
Talk to others about your career thoughts
This can be friends and family, GVSU faculty/staff and professionals in your field. They’ll be interested to hear your plans and may be able to connect you to further opportunities.
- Informational interviews are conversations with people in fields of interest for you. You can have a formal or informal discussion over the phone or Skype, via email, or in person. Check out sample questions to ask.
- Job shadowing is observing a professional on-site during their work day. The Career Center can coach you on how to set up a job shadow.
- Participate in the W.O.W. Career Exploration program. This is a half-day full-immersion exploration program that exposes students to the world of work. The program will introduce you to professional work culture as well as career opportunities that relate to your interests and skills.
- Meet with an academic advisor at least once a semester to discuss your class schedule and academic requirements.
- Create a LinkedIn account to connect with alumni in your area of interest. Check out where GVSU alums have landed.
- Log in to Handshake here with your GVSU username. No need to create an account, as a student you already have one!
- You may be pursuing a major that has secondary admissions requirement. Schedule a meeting with your career advisor to identify a parallel plan. A parallel plan is a back-up plan just in case you are not admitted to your program, or your career plans shift.
- Are you considering a career path that requires an advanced degree? Make sure you know all that entails by checking out GVSU's path to graduate and professional school.