The GVSU Career Center and GVSU Student Employment are excited to announce that we are transitioning from LakerJobs to a new online job posting and event management system called Handshake during Summer of 2018. Handshake will offer the valuable services you've come to expect through LakerJobs, along with expanded capabilities, in a new, state-of-the-art platform. This transition website will provide you with key dates, training resources, and important updates during the transition process, so please check back often for the latest details!
5/16/18: Employer Launch
- Employers will receive an invitation to create an account within Handshake, or to connect to GVSU if an account has previously been created. Signing up is easy and takes less than five minutes.
5/16/18 – 6/18/18: Transition Period
- Employers: create Handshake accounts, connect with GVSU, and begin posting jobs in preparation for Student Launch. For jobs set to expire before 6/15/18, continue to post in LakerJobs.
- Students: continue to search for opportunities in LakerJobs. Students should also plan to save application information and materials such as resumes and cover letters from LakerJobs.
6/19/18: Student Launch
- Students will begin accessing Handshake with their GVSU network ID.
- Access to LakerJobs will be disabled for all student and employer users.
Handshake offers the ability to post jobs, track applicants, schedule on-campus interviews and register for career fairs and events. Additionally, Handshake offers expanded recruitment potential:
- Managing all your campuses with Handshake at no cost
- Search for qualified student and alumni candidates
- A mobile experience - update your job postings, view applicants, and more while on the go using Handshake's responsive design
For more information about Handshake, please visit Handshake's Employer Site at www.joinhandshake.com/employers.
For Students & Alumni
Handshake is similar to LakerJobs, but is more user-friendly, offers a mobile platform, and makes job recommendations based on your interests, major and skills. New features include the ability to:
- Get employer alerts - Favorite employers and get notified when they've posted opportunities or will be at an event or on campus.
- Get job notifications - Favorite jobs to prioritize applications and never miss a deadline!
- Connect with Career Center - Beginning Fall semester of 2018, schedule appointments, interviews and career fair visits on Handshake.
All students and alumni can access the Handshake platform using the following login directions:
- Current Students - Visit gvsu.joinhandshake.com and login using your GVSU network ID and password.
- Alumni Who Graduated After 2007 - Visit gvsu.joinhandshake.com and log in using your GVSU network ID and password. Login Assistance
- Alumni Who Graduated in 2007 or Prior - Follow these instructions to create a Handshake profile.
For the GVSU Community
GVSU faculty and staff members will have the ability to access Handshake as a user or as an on-campus employer. Transition details for both types of users are outlined below.
Faculty/Staff Accounts - for access to help in providing career advising to students you work with (viewing jobs and career events, etc).
- Request account access - Faculty/staff accounts will be created upon request. Once you have an account, you can login at any time app.joinhandshake.com.
- Departmental website changes - If you administer your departmental website, please identify any pages that mention "Lakerjobs" and/or use the LakerJobs logo and update to the Handshake name and logo beginning June 19. Download Handshake logo.
- Job and internship feeds - If you are currently feeding jobs or internships to your departmental website via a job widget, please note that the widget will not appear between June 19, and August of 2018. During this time, we will be working to create new job feeds based on previously identified criteria and updating URLs to feed new information from Handshake. We do not anticipate further work on your part to make these operational again. If you have questions or would like to create a job feed, please contact Azra Causevic, (616) 331-6708.
On-Campus Employer Accounts - for on-campus hiring of work-study students, student assistants, and interns.
- Accessing Handshake - On-campus employers will be emailed an invitation to create an account in Handshake and connect with their GVSU department which has already been created.
- Report a Hire - Summer hires made through mid-June should continue to be reported in LakerJobs. Hires made beginning mid-June and moving forward will be reported using a new process. Fall 2018 and/or Winter 2019 hires already reported in LakerJobs will NOT be saved.
- Training & Resources - On-campus supervisors can attend an in-person training session on how to use Handshake per below. Pre-registration is required. An updated FAQ video library will also be available at www.gvsu.edu/studentjobs to reflect new processes once Handshake is live.
- Wednesday, May 30, 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. – HRY 115, Allendale
- Wednesday, June 6, 12:00 p.m. -1:00 p.m. – HRY 115, Allendale
- Thursday, June 7, 10:00 am – 11:00 am – DEV 204A, Downtown
- Friday, June 8, 9:00 am – 10:00 am – HRY 115, Allendale
- Monday, June 11, 10:30 am – 11:30 am – HRY 115, Allendale
- Thursday, June 14, 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. – HRY116, Allendale