Get Prepared for the GVSU Career and Internship Fair
Join us back IN PERSON
Tuesday, October 11, 2022
DeVos Place Convention Center
303 Monroe Ave. NW, Grand Rapids, MI
The Career & Internship Fair is an excellent place to kick off your job or internship search, or to begin networking with organizations looking to hire Grand Valley students and alumni of all majors! 230 employers with THOUSANDS of immediate openings are expected to attend.
Attend the Career Fair to:
- meet with employers to discuss full-time positions
- learn about available internships and co-ops
- build your professional network and expand your job search
Career Fair Etiquette
View Participating Employers by Career Community
Attend Prep Events
Drop in to CareerLab to get your resume or Handshake profile reviewed, practice your elevator pitch or get answers to your career fair questions. CareerLab hours are Monday - Friday from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. (200 STU) and Monday - Thursday 11 a.m. - 4 p.m (DEV 101B). Virtual CareerLab Monday - Thursday 4 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Stop into either Career Center location to print resumes on resume paper prior to the fair.
Never attended an in-person career fair? Take a peek!
Prepare for the Career Fair Events
*These events have finished
Are you preparing for the upcoming GVSU Career and Internship Fair, but not quite sure where to start? The Career Center will be hosting 2 drop-in events to help you refine your resume, formulate your elevator pitch, and learn the proper way to follow up after the fair to build meaningful employer connections.
JC Penney Suit Up
*This event has finished, but you can still access the coupon code by texting GVSU to 67292.
Come to JCPenney at RiverTown Crossings Mall on October 2nd from 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm and receive an EXTRA 30% off on top of pre-existing discounts. Get prepared for internships, interviews, or the GVSU Career and Internship Fair. There will be prizes given away throughout the evening. Bring your Student ID or a way to scan a QR code. Be sure to bring friends and family too!
10-Minute Resume Reviews with Employer Partners
*This event has finished
Sign up to have your resume reviewed by an industry professional! This is your chance to get valuable feedback from experts in your field including tips on formatting, content, and how to translate your skills and experience.
Get Ready to Participate
- Do your research – Check out the list of attending employers and figure out which organizations you are interested in and spend time doing some research on them. What information does their website or Handshake have? What types of positions do they have available? How do your skills and experiences match what they’re looking for?
- Check out employers sorted by career community for a list of employers relevant to your career interests. Business & Entrepreneurship I Communication & the Arts I Education I Healthcare I Human and Public Service I STEM
- Register - Register for the Fair in Handshake.
- Download the Handshake app - the career fair event within the app has information on participating employers as well as a map of where they are located in the ballroom at DeVos Place.
- Develop questions - Narrow down your list of organizations then list some questions you would like to ask the representative at the fair.
- Prepare an introduction - Having a polished 30-second or less speech to introduce yourself to the employer will help you to initiate conversation. In your introduction, you should include your name, major/minor(s), year in school, career goals, and why you are interested in the particular organization. Listen to our podcast episode on How to Introduce Yourself which includes lots of great tips!
- Engage! Put all that preparation to work. Introduce yourself with the intro you practiced, ask the questions you've prepared, and listen. Remember, this is a conversation, so be yourself. The amount of time you have with each employer may vary, so be sure to put it to good use.
- Track names for follow-up - It is always a good idea to keep track of the individual you spoke within each session. This will allow you to follow up with that individual in the future. You can ask them for their business card or email address.
- Stop by the Ask Me Table - If you're unsure of who to talk to or what employers fit your area, visit the Ask Me Table just outside of the ballroom in DeVos Place. There are advisors on hand who can help answer any questions you may have.
- Follow up - Sending a thank-you note (email) is important in creating a good lasting impression. The note should be personalized to include details from your conversation that stuck out to you. You can also use it to highlight or re-emphasize details about your background/experiences and how they tie to the position. You can stay connected using LinkedIn. Interviewing & Networking Resources
Follow @gvsucareers on Instagram for plenty of tips, employer videos, and practical information to help you have a successful career fair.