When you are trying to figure out what’s NEXT, here are two things you can count on when working with the Grand Valley Career Center: Continued comprehensive career support for all students and alumni and new services designed especially for your individual journey.
Continued comprehensive career support for all students and alumni
Career Support - Our Career Center works with students and alumni exploring the world-of-work, planning and re-planning their career paths, preparing professional materials, and identifying ways to build professional networks. Connecting early and often with your dedicated career advisor increases confidence when pursing your goals. Whether you are pursuing a certificate, undergraduate, or advanced degree, the Career Center will always be available to support you.
New services designed especially for your individual journey
Career Coaches – Are you a lifelong learner considering additional education or professional development? Are you a GVSU alumni seeking to grow, re-tool, or make a pivot in your career? Good news! The Career Center will always be available to support you as you grow in your professional endeavors. We have certified career coaches on staff who provide structured sessions so that you can access the tools, knowledge, and opportunities needed to create a personalized plan designed to meet your career goals. Schedule a virtual or remote appointment by calling (616) 331-3311 or by logging into Handshake. If you are accessing Handshake for the first time, an approval will be processed before you are able to schedule.
Office Address: 200 Student Services
Phone: (616) 331-3311
Office Address: 101B DeVos
Phone: (616) 331-6708
When working with Lisa and Lori, you can expect a solution-oriented approach, which involves working through concrete steps to achieve your career objectives. You can expect to gain career confidence, insight, and encouragement as well.
Schedule a virtual or remote appointment by calling (616) 331-3311 or by logging into Handshake. Please note, if you are accessing Handshake for the first time, an approval will be processed before you are able to schedule.
- Phone appointments: your advisor will contact you at the time and phone number you provide when you schedule your appointment through Handshake.
- Remote appointments: click the Zoom URL link provided in your appointment confirmation email. You will be connected with your advisor once they also join the Zoom appointment.
- Please download the Zoom application to your desktop or phone any time prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Uploading resumes/documents: if you would like to review your resume, cover letter, personal statement or other application materials, please upload documents to Handshake prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Cancelling appointments: should you need to cancel your appointment at any time, simply log into Handshake, click the Career Center link in the top navigation, select Appointments, and the "Cancel Appointment" button in the desired appointment.
Meet with Career Center staff live during Virtual CareerLab! CareerLab is an informal space to ask career-related questions and review your resume/cover letter.
Fall 2020 Hours (when classes are in session)
Monday thru Thursday, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Friday, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Sunday, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
What to Expect During Virtual CareerLab
- A relaxed, informal space to chat with a career advisor about any questions you may have related to resumes, internships, cover letters, the job search, and more.
- You don't have to share your video if you don't feel comfortable; instead, simply use your audio or even just use the chat feature to ask a quick question!
- Don't worry about any noise being in the background! We know working virtually from home may come with distractions and noises.