Family and Community Engagement Guidance Document
Purpose: To support RCN’s in reaching Priority Area #5 Family and Community Engagement contract goals and ultimately in creating processes that empower local district teams to implement systems that lead to improved Family and Community Engagement perspectives and practices.
START Core Values for Family Engagement:
Parents and families are children’s first teachers and, in many respects, their most influential role models and motivators. There is growing acknowledgement of the critical importance of Family Engagement in leading to positive educational outcomes for students and families. START's commitment to prioritizing and promoting intentional Family Engagement is centered around five Core Values.
- Families are central and critical to their child’s development and are essential members of their school teams.
- Effective communication and trusting relationships support the ability of families to access helping resources.
- Family diversity is valued; differences in culture, language, and family structure are recognized as strengths.
- Learning opportunities and supports are individualized, addressing student needs by embracing the skills, interests, and experiences of the student and family.
- Families and schools are partners in establishing high expectations that result in positive learning outcomes, building a foundation and vision for the future.