Note: Email and password are case sensitive.
How can I participate in the Freshman Academy Program?
The Freshman Academy program is only open to incoming students that are selected by the Admissions Office during the application review process.
What are the benefits of participating in Freshman Academy?
- One-on-one academic advising and social support from Freshman Academy Staff
- Ability to participate in a Pre-arrival program (Academic Success Institute)
- Learning skills development
- Mentoring from prior Freshman Academy participants
- Specialized course sections with learning communities
- Specialized tutoring/study groups
What are the requirements for students participating in the Freshman Academy?
- Attend the mandatory Freshman Academy Orientation
- Meet with their Freshman Academy Advisor at least 4 times throughout each semester
- Attend weekly Freshman Academy study table
- Register for general education courses that are designated for Freshman Academy
- Participate in at least one weekly study group or tutoring session each semester
Freshman Academy Scheduling Information
As a Freshman Academy student, you have the advantage of participating in learning communities and structured learning assistance (SLA) courses. Participation in learning communities and SLA courses has a number of benefits, all of which promote your academic and social success at GVSU. Listed below are several of the Freshman Academy courses you can choose from during your first year at GVSU:
- Writing* - WRT 098 or 150
- Mathematics* - MTH 097 or 110 (SLA)
- University Studies - US 102 (1 credit career exploration elective)
- English* - ENG 099
- Women and Gender Studies** - WGS 200
- African American Studies** - AAA 201
- Liberal Studies** - LIB 100
- History** - HST 103
*Placement based on ACT score
**Course taken from General Education Requirements Categories
Phone (616) 331-2025 • 1-800-748-0246 • firstname.lastname@example.org