Mathematics, B.A., B.S.
Besides its utility, mathematics possesses an intrinsic beauty and power. It provides rare opportunities for creativity to anyone who seeks intellectual challenges. Almost all disciplines use the language and problem-solving techniques of mathematics. The use of computers and statistics in most disciplines has further increased the use and applications of mathematics.
Grand Valley State University offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) and Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in mathematics, with emphases available in elementary and secondary education.
Minors in mathematics are also available, including minors for elementary and secondary certification.
Why Study Mathematics at Grand Valley?
- The department is focused on excellent teaching in mathematics and mathematics education, including the development of strong communication and technological skills.
- The department hosts an externally-funded Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program, through which numerous students and faculty have won national awards. Many faculty members are involved in research with undergraduates.
- Each winter, the department organizes the Math-in-Action conference for mathematics teachers and students preparing to be teachers.
- Faculty members have a wide variety of interests and backgrounds. Most have a Ph.D., are active in research, and participate in professional activities and associations. Several faculty members have published textbooks on topics in college mathematics or mathematics education.
For More InformationDepartment of Mathematics
A-2-178 Mackinac Hall
Location & FormatFace to face courses are scheduled during the day and are offered at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
- Location: Allendale
- Format: Face To Face
Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Proofs and mathematical writing
- Linear and abstract algebra
- Probability and statistics
Students who are challenged by problems and enjoy working on solutions can enjoy exciting career opportunities in industry, business, and government as:
- Actuarial technicians
- Elementary or secondary school teachers
- Statistical analysts/programmers
- Financial engineers
- Software developers
“I have really fallen in love with Grand Valley since going here. Most aspects of the university fit me perfectly, and those which did not originally fit have shaped me for the better.”