Mechanical Engineering, B.S.E.
Mechanical engineers are professionals who use their knowledge and skills for the enhancement of human welfare and the environment. They integrate the mechanical and thermo-fluid sciences to analyze and solve problems involving power and motion. Thereby, they can design equipment and machines of all types, such as robots and conveyor systems, internal combustion engines and gas turbines, and air conditioning units, cars, and trains.
Students are prepared for engineering careers and leadership roles through B.S.E. and M.S.E programs that integrate academic studies with hands-on learning and paid professional experiences in actual engineering companies. Please, visit gvsu.edu/grad/mse for details of the M.S.E. program.
Why Study Mechanical Engineering at Grand Valley?
- Program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, abet.org.
- Personal attention in small, student-focused classes.
- Extensive hands-on and project-based learning.
- State-of-the-art teaching facilities and laboratory equipment.
- Study/work abroad opportunities.
- Three semesters of paid cooperative-education work experience prior to graduation in recognized domestic and international engineering companies.
- Industry sponsored capstone design projects.
- Strong support from our industrial partners who fund many engineering scholarships for graduate and undergraduate students.
- A nearly 100-percent placement rate into work or graduate school for our graduates.
- A combined bachelor's/masters program that allows high-achieving students to complete both the B.S.E. and the M.S.E. in as little as five calendar years.
For More InformationSchool of Engineering
136 Kennedy Hall
Location & Format
A degree in mechanical engineering involves coursework in:
- Finite element methods
- Solid mechanics and materials
- Fluid mechanics
- Heat transfer
- Machine design
- System dynamics and controls
The following are just a few career options for mechanical engineers:
- Automotive engineer
- Controls engineer
- Design engineer
- Manufacturing engineer
- HVAC engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Robotics engineer
- Systems engineer
“Through the engineering professional societies at GVSU, I have been able to grow as a leader and a student.”
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT