Mechanical Engineering, B.S.E.
Mechanical engineers are innovators whose designs enhance peoples lives. They integrate the mechanical and thermo-fluid sciences to analyze and solve problems involving power and motion. Thereby, they can design equipment and machines of all types, such as robots and conveyor systems, internal combustion engines and gas turbines, and air conditioning units, cars, and trains.
Students are prepared for engineering careers and leadership roles through B.S.E. and M.S.E programs that integrate academic studies with hands-on learning and paid professional experiences in actual engineering companies. Please, visit gvsu.edu/grad/mse for details of the M.S.E. program.
Why Study Mechanical Engineering at Grand Valley?
- Program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, abet.org.
- Personal attention in small classes and extensive hands-on and project-based learning in our student-focused, state-of-the-art teaching, laboratory, and project facilities.
- Study/work abroad available.
- Three semesters of paid cooperative-education work experience prior to graduation in recognized domestic and international engineering companies.
- Biomedical engineering minor available.
- Strong support from our industrial partners who fund many engineering scholarships for graduate and undergraduate students.
- A nearly 100-percent placement rate into work or graduate school for our graduates.
- A combined bachelors/masters program that allows high-achieving students to complete both the B.S.E. and the M.S.E. in as little as five calendar years.
For More InformationSchool of Engineering
136 Kennedy Hall
Location & FormatFace to face courses are scheduled during the day and are offered at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Format: Face To Face
A degree in mechanical engineering involves coursework in:
- Cooperative education
- Fluid dynamics
- Heat transfer
- Machine design
The following are just a few career options for mechanical engineers:
- Automotive engineer
- Controls engineer
- Design engineer
- Energy engineer
- HVAC engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Robotics engineer
- Systems engineer
“Through the engineering professional societies at GVSU, I have been able to grow as a leader and a student.”
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT