For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through June 17. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
Interdisciplinary Engineering, B.S.E.
Engineering graduates from this program are focused individuals with specific career goals that are not met by the traditional engineering majors offered at Grand Valley. Students can focus their studies in engineering fields that cut across the traditional engineering majors as well as encompassing other disciplines offered at GVSU.
Emphases areas of study in engineering offered include biomedical, data science, design and innovation, environmental, management, mechatronics, and renewable energy, in addition to customizable programs to meet students' needs.
Students are prepared for engineering careers and leadership roles through B.S.E. and M.S.E programs that integrate academic studies with hands-on learning and paid professional experiences in actual engineering companies.
Why Study Engineering at Grand Valley?
- Program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, abet.org.
- Personal attention in small, student-focused classes.
- Extensive hands-on and project-based learning.
- State-of-the-art teaching facilities and laboratory equipment.
- Study/work abroad opportunities.
- Three semesters of paid cooperative-education work experience prior to graduation in recognized domestic and international engineering companies.
- Industry sponsored capstone design projects.
- Strong support from our industrial partners who fund many engineering scholarships for GVSU students.
- A nearly 100-percent placement rate into work or graduate school for our graduates.
- A combined bachelor's/masters program that allows high-achieving students to complete both the B.S.E. and the M.S.E. in as little as five calendar years.
- Financial Aid
- Study Abroad
- Course Catalog
- Engineering Programs
- Interdisciplinary Engineering Programs
For More InformationSchool of Engineering
136 Kennedy Hall, (616) 331-6750
Location & Format
An interdisciplinary engineering degree involves coursework in:
- Cooperative education
- Courses for a customized major
- Digital systems
- Materials science
A few career options for interdisciplinary engineering:
- Alternative and renewable energy engineer
- Biomedical engineer
- Industrial engineer
- Materials engineer
- Microelectronic engineer
- Robotics engineer
- Systems engineer
“In today’s workplace, what is demanded of employees and what they need to know is rapidly changing. GVSU enables all Laker engineers to thrive, through its practical and industry-focused education.”
SOFTWARE ENGINEERING MANAGER, JR AUTOMATION