Interdisciplinary Engineering, B.S.E.
Engineering graduates from this program are focused individuals with specific career goals that are not met by the traditional engineering majors offered at Grand Valley. Students can focus their studies in engineering fields that cut across the traditional engineering majors as well as encompassing other disciplines offered at GVSU.
Emphases offered in Biomedical Engineering, Engineering Management, Data Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Renewable Energy Engineering, Design and Innovation in addition to customizable programs to meet students' needs.
Students are prepared for engineering careers and leadership roles through B.S.E. and M.S.E programs that integrate academic studies with hands-on learning and paid professional experiences in actual engineering companies.
Why Study Engineering at Grand Valley?
- Program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, abet.org.
- Personal attention in small classes and extensive hands-on and project-based learning in our student-focused, state-of-the-art teaching, laboratory, and project facilities.
- Study/work abroad available.
- Three semesters of paid cooperative-education work experience prior to graduation in recognized domestic and international engineering companies.
- Biomedical (mechanical and electrical), engineering management and data sciences engineering emphases available as well as customized study plans.
- Tremendous support from our industrial partners who fund many engineering scholarships for graduate and undergraduate students.
- A nearly 100-percent placement rate into work or graduate school for our graduates.
- A combined bachelors/masters program that allows high-achieving students to complete both the B.S.E. and the M.S.E. in as little as five calendar years.
For More InformationSchool of Engineering
136 Kennedy Hall, (616) 331-6750
Location & FormatFace to face courses are scheduled during the day and are offered at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
- Location: Allendale
- Format: Face To Face
An interdisciplinary engineering degree involves coursework in:
- Cooperative education
- Courses for a customized major
- Digital systems
- Materials science
A few career options for interdisciplinary engineering:
- Alternative and renewable energy engineer
- Biomedical engineer
- Industrial engineer
- Materials engineer
- Microelectronic engineer
- Robotics engineer
- Systems engineer
“IE provided me the flexibility to take courses that aligned with my career goals.”
IE MAJOR, PREMED EMPHASIS