Middle East Studies Minor
Middle East studies (MES) focuses on the area stretching from Morocco in the west to Oman in the east, Iran and Turkey in the north to Sudan in the south. The history and art of this region contributed to Western civilization and the area today is central to issues of global peace and prosperity.
The MES minor introduces students to the heritage, problems, and
perspectives of Middle Eastern cultures within and beyond borders.
Michigan, for example, is home to the nation's largest Arab American
community. Study abroad also available.
Why Minor in Middle East Studies at Grand Valley?
- Prepares students for an increasingly diverse world of peoples, cultures, religions, and economies.
- Is a gateway to gaining communicative and intercultural skills in a global economy.
- A number of culturally enriching middle eastern study abroad programs are available; visit gvsu.edu/pic for details.
- Capitalizes on increasing interest in the non-Western world from a variety of disciplines.
- Offers opportunities to participate in the Model Arab League simulations held annually.
- Provides opportunities to attend field trips to points of cultural interest locally and in the Detroit area.
For More InformationMiddle East Studies Program
117 Lake Ontario Hall
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this program study at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.Format: Face To Face
- Arabic language and culture
- Middle East history and politics
- Middle East literature and film
- Islamic art
- Middle East philosophy
The program offers a variety of career options, including those in:
- Government and diplomacy
- Nongovernmental organizations
- International business
- International relations
“The MES program provided me with an exceptional education in the history and culture of the Middle East and North Africa. I have come to value my MES minor not only because it has made me more able to understand current global events, but I have also found that it consistently helps set me apart from the competition.”
PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION ALUMNA