For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through April 25. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
The ability to speak and read another language expands our range of cultural competency and communication, but also enriches our understanding of the world and our own culture.
All languages listed below count toward the BA third semester language requirement. We offer:
- Majors in French, German, and Spanish
- Minors in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, and Spanish
- Three years of language and culture courses in Japanese
- Two years of language in Italian and Russian
Why Study Modern Languages and Literatures at Grand Valley?
Grand Valley State University has unique benefits and resources that give language students an enhanced learning experience and level of expertise.
- Our Language Resource Center provides students with interactive, effective, and enjoyable ways to learn.
- The department's experienced and dedicated faculty offer individual assistance to students.
- The in-house study abroad program gives students the opportunity to immerse themselves in the culture and language they are studying.
- Financial Aid
- Study Abroad
- Course Catalog
- Education, General Programs
- Education, Elementary to Middle Teaching Programs
- Education, Middle/Secondary Teaching Programs
- Spanish Programs
- Modern Languages Programs
For More InformationModern Languages and Literatures
Mackinac Hall B-2-243
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.Format: Face To Face
Coursework covers all aspects of language and related cultures, including reading, writing, speaking, and listening. Additional practical skills gained include:
- Cultural competency, critical thinking, and analysis
- Flexibility, communication, and working with others
Language majors and minors have a diverse assortment of careers available to them in fields like:
- International relations
- Health professions
- Social work
“The instructors care about you and the quality of your education. They are experienced, passionate, and committed to helping you realize your own potential.”