Liberal Studies, B.A., B.S.
Liberal Studies majors are passionate doers and critical thinkers. No one course of study is the same, every student creates their own one-of-a-kind experience.
Students work closely with the more than 20 full-time faculty members to create their unique path towards a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree.
- CORE: (18 credits) Build an interdisciplinary foundation of study rich in liberal education, ethics and critical thinking.
- AREA OF FOCUS: (18 credits) Investigate and engage in real world problems and solutions.
- ELECTIVES: (9 credits) Integrate courses with career goals.
- INTERNSHIP/PRACTICUM: (1-6 credits) Apply theory to life outside the classroom.
- CAPSTONE: (3 credits) Design thesis project connecting area of focus with a research question or problem.
Why Study Liberal Studies at Grand Valley?
- Students create an individualized course of study in partnership with their advisor, drawing from courses across the university, resulting in more than 300 majors.
- Many transfer courses count towards degree completion.
- Undergraduate research options: student-centered research and assisting professors in continuing research projects.
- Dual degree program with the University of Bio-Bio in Chile! Other study abroad opportunities may count towards a student's area of focus.
- Real-world work experience creates networking opportunities, resulting in job connections post-graduation.
- Students become proven leaders, working towards social justice in the world.
For More InformationLiberal Studies Program
324 Lake Ontario Hall
Location & FormatFace to face courses are scheduled during the day and are offered at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
Employers seek liberal studies graduates on the strength of their creativity, versatility, and critical thinking skills, across every sector of the workforce. Graduates can be found at:
- Apple Inc.
- Americorps Farm to School
- Heartside Ministries
- State of Michigan Urban Planning/Economic Development
- Goodwill Industries
- Boys and Girls Club
- Trunk Club
- Teach for America