Biomedical Informatics graduate badge
The School of Computing now offers eight graduate-level digital badges. A digital badge, or simply "badge," recognizes your completion of a coherent and meaningful academic experience. A badge allows you to promote academic achievements online more effectively and in different venues than with a transcript.
The School of Computing's biomedical informatics badge (not a degree or certificate) is designed to prepare students in the following areas:
- Evaluate the requirements for biomedical information systems.
- Engage in project management practices for biomedical decision-making.
- Describe the legal and ethical considerations for biomedical informatics.
- Utilize computational methods for knowledge discovery in bioinformatics and medicine.
- Create visualizations for complex data sets.
- Design parallel and high-performance computing algorithms.
- Develop machine learning algorithms.
Completion of a Bachelor's degree, and evidence of object-oriented programming skill is required for admission.
Why Earn a Digital Badge at Grand Valley?
- Badges document knowledge, skills, and competencies you've gained through various learning and professional development opportunities.
- Pursuing a badge, either in continuing education or while completing a degree, can enhance your education.
- Digital badges can be displayed on social media, websites, and in emails.
- Completing a badge is an opportunity for you to highlight particularly marketable and desirable skills to potential employers.
For More InformationSchool of Computing and Information Systems
Dr. Robert Adams, Ph.D.
C-2-100 Mackinac Hall
Location & Format
Classes for the program are on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus.Format: Face To Face
The biomedical informatics badge is comprised of three courses (nine credits). Classes are offered on Pew Campus in downtown Grand Rapids.
- CIS 661 - Introduction to Health and Bioinformatics
and two of:
- CIS 635 - Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- CIS 660 - Information Management and Science
- CIS 665 - Clinical Information Systems
- CIS 671 - Information Visualization
- CIS 677 - High-performance Computing
- CIS 678 - Machine Learning