The College of Education, in conjunction with other departments at Grand Valley, prepares students for certification in elementary and secondary education, and endorsements in special education.
Teacher preparation at Grand Valley State University includes:
- Elementary education
- Secondary education
- Special education
- Graduate teacher certification
Teachers must have good oral and written communication, leadership, and human relationship skills. These attributes may open doors to other fields related to classroom teaching. Teachers who have had some teaching experience and additional coursework may also be eligible for positions in the fields of administration, counseling, and social work.
Why Study Education at Grand Valley?
- Programs are approved by the Michigan Department of Education and accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- Undergraduate education students are assigned an advisor from their major field for the duration of their time at Grand Valley. In addition, they are assigned an advisor from the College of Education after taking EDF 315.
- Scholarships are available to students admitted to the College of Education.
- Candidates with a bachelor's degree who desire certification may be eligible for an accelerated one-year program at the graduate level that earns credits toward a masters degree.
For More InformationCollege of Education
401 W. Fulton St, Building C
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at Grand Valleys Allendale Campus.
Candidates for undergraduate teacher certification earn a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree or Bachelor of Arts degree (B.A.) in an approved major program.
In addition to their degree requirements, students seeking certification must meet the requirements of a teachable major, minor, and complete the education major/professional education requirements.
Students must also pass the appropriate Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC): mttc.nesinc.com.
“Grand Valley is leaving me well prepared for the profession I am going into. Through the classes I’ve taken I am ready to interview for a teaching position, set up my own classroom, and provide for the children I will teach what they need in an education.”
ENGLISH MAJOR, ELEMENTARY EDUCATION MINOR