Education, Literacy Studies, M.Ed. - Reading/Language Arts
Listen to Podcast
Become a Literacy Leader
Grand Valley State University's Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Literacy Studies offers options for full- and part-time degree-seeking and endorsement-seeking candidates in the following areas:
- Elementary and Secondary Reading Programs: For teachers interested in facilitating student learning through effective literacy practices.
- K-12 Reading Specialist Program: For teachers interested in literacy coaching and administration/supervision of district-wide reading/language arts programs.
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Program: For those interested in transforming the lives of students and speakers of other languages through the teaching of English.
Locations Across Michigan and Beyond
- Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids campus
- Grand Valley State University Detroit Center
- Fully online
- Faculty with Pre-K through high school classroom experience
- Instruction focused on school contexts
- Flexible course offerings including hybrid and online options
- Vibrant learning community
- Nationally accredited
- Meaningful coursework in topics such as:
- Comprehension instruction
- Curriculum design
- Writing instruction
- Cultural/diversity understanding
- Literacy coaching
- Literacy in the disciplines
- Language acquisition theory and practice
- Twenty-first century literacy skills
- Teaching English learners
- Interdisciplinary approaches to teaching
- Children and adolescent literature
For More InformationCollege of Education
401C DeVos, (616) 331-6650
Deadline for fall semester is May 15; winter is September 15; spring/summer is February 15. Early application is strongly encouraged, those received after the deadline will be considered for the next cycle. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to Grand Valley State University. Visit gvsu.edu/gradapply/.
Location & Format
Classes for the program are a combination of online and in-seat on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus.
This program is also available in Detroit.