Physicists are explorers of the physical universe seeking to understand the fundamental behavior of nature from elementary particles to galaxies.
The Department of Physics offers a Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) with a major in physics. This program engages students in observation, experimentation, and theoretical study of various phenomena of nature. The department also offers:
- A minor in physics
- The option for secondary teacher certification
Most courses can only be taken in sequence. Physics majors should consult with their faculty advisors or the department chair at the earliest opportunity for degree planning. Visit gvsu.edu/physics for more information.
Visit gvsu.edu/physics for more information.
Why Study Physics at Grand Valley?
- Our active, enthusiastic, caring, and dedicated faculty members are engaged in excellent teaching, scholarly activities, and service.
- Our faculty members actively pursue academic research projects with the students. Research interests of our faculty members include acoustics, astronomy, atomic physics, condensed matter physics, physics education, gravitation, cosmology, nuclear physics, and medical physics.
- All classrooms are well equipped with video and audio systems. Smaller size upper division physics classes provide personal attention from our outstanding faculty.
- The AIP 2009 report cited physics department of GVSU as being one of the top four universities in Michigan in terms of number of graduates.
- Our faculty and students participate in a variety of physics outreach activities throughout the year to promote science education in Michigan and especially to create an interest in physics among high school students.
For More InformationDepartment of Physics
117 Padnos Hall of Science
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Core courses in physics
- Computer science
Physicists are often employed in:
“Being a part of the Grand Valley physics program has been an amazing experience. The challenging classes always kept me on my toes, and the close-knit department will always be like family to me.”