Professional Science Master's
The Professional Science Master's (PSM) degree trains students in both science and professional skills to make them highly competitive in the workforce.
There are four PSM programs offered:
- Biostatistics, M.S.
- Cell and Molecular Biology (biotechnology), M.S.
- Data Science and Analytics, M.S.
- Health Informatics and Bioinformatics, M.S.
For information on each PSM, visit gvsu.edu/psm/.
Why Study PSM at Grand Valley?
- The demand for professionals working in all four of the PSM fields is high, with projections continuing to be positive in the coming years.
- Local partners such as Hope Network, MPI, Michigan State University, Mercy Health, and many more provide students with excellent internship and career opportunities.
- Graduates from all four programs are working at reputable companies nationwide including Priority Health, VanAndel Research Institute, Meijer, Spectrum Health, Integrated DNA Technologies, Cisco Systems, and NxGenMDx.
- All four degree programs are tailored toward working professionals, offering flexible class schedules with evening meetings. The two years of training are a combination of both coursework and professional internships.
For More InformationProfessional Science Master's (PSM) Program
618C LV Eberhard Center
Location & FormatFace to face courses are scheduled during the day and are offered at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
- Location: Allendale
- Format: Face To Face
Each program is tailored toward its respective subject. However, all four PSM programs have common characteristics. These include their interdisciplinary nature, internship component, involvement with the university and its industry partners, and emphasis on teamwork, professional skills, problem-solving, communication, scientific knowledge, and technical skills.
Master's level cell and molecular biologists, data analysts, those working in health informatics and bioinformatics, and biostatisticians often work in the following areas:
- Academic research laboratories
- Business intelligence
- Data management and analysis
- Drug development/clinical trials
- Evaluation of clinical trials data
- Healthcare data analysis
- Marketing analytics
“Students graduate feeling confident in their ability to follow their curiosities and in their ability to take the initiative to understand whatever new ideas or skills are required of them.”
2015 BIOSTATISTICS GRADUATE