Social Studies, B.A., B.S.
The major in Social Studies is designed for students seeking teacher certification in secondary, middle school, or elementary education.
Social Studies students choose from either a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree.
Students seeking teacher certification also complete the professional program offered by the College of Education. Students seeking elementary teaching certification also complete a minor in elementary teaching. The major meets State of Michigan content standards for teacher preparation in Social Studies.
Students seeking the B.A. must demonstrate third-semester proficiency in a foreign language.
Visit gvsu.edu/socstudies for details.
Why Study Social Studies at Grand Valley?
- Social Studies majors study the world from a variety of perspectives giving them strong interdisciplinary training.
- Social Studies majors are prepared to tackle the teaching of a complex subject in a changing world.
- Social Studies majors are attractive to schools that seek to hire teachers able to teach a variety of courses in social studies.
- Social Studies majors work closely with social studies faculty to learn the theoretical and practical aspects of teaching social studies.
For More InformationSocial Studies Program
Mackinac Hall D-1-160
Location & FormatFace to face courses are scheduled during the day and are offered at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
- Location: Allendale
- Format: Face To Face
All Social Studies majors complete the core courses. Students also complete courses in Social Studies teaching strategies. Students seeking secondary teaching certification also complete additional coursework. The major includes credit hours in:
- Political science
- Social Studies teaching methods
Upon completion of the Social Studies major and professional program major, students seeking teacher certification in Social Studies at the secondary, middle school, or elementary levels are well-qualified to begin their teaching careers.
“I have significantly improved as a global citizen through the group Social Studies major at GVSU. The program has been invaluable as it has taught me how to analyze local, national, and global events of the past and present in order to make educated decisions from an array of paradigms with regard to potential solutions and outcomes.”
SOCIAL STUDIES ALUMNUS