For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through April 25. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email email@example.com. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
Allied Health Sciences, B.S.
Allied health professionals work in health care teams to provide a range of diagnostic, technical, therapeutic and direct patient care and support services that are critical to the other health professionals they work with and the patients they serve. The Allied Health Sciences (AHS) major is intended to meet the educational needs of an aspiring health professional.
AHS can be tailored to meet the health professions goals of students with specific academic emphases.
Pre-health professional emphases for students desiring to apply for a graduate degree in:
- Physical Therapy
- Physician Assistant Studies
Entry level baccalaureate emphases in:
- General Allied Health Sciences
- Respiratory Care
- Health Professional degree completion - for those holding an associate degree in particular health professions
Why Study Allied Health Sciences at Grand Valley?
- Located in the state-of-the-art Raleigh J. Finkelstein Hall (RFH) within close proximity of five hospitals, the Medical Education and Research Center, and many research, clinical, and treatment facilities.
- With its strong relationships with the region's medical community, the program is able to provide students with the opportunity for high-quality clinical experiences which are an important part of the students learning experience.
- Courses are taught by tenure track or adjunct faculty members who meet the highest levels of professional standards; the program does not use graduate assistants to teach courses.
- The College of Health Professions maintains a dedicated staff of academic advisors in its Student Services Office to meet the academic advising needs of its students.
- Financial Aid
- Study Abroad
- Course Catalog
- Allied Health Sciences Programs
- Health Professions Programs
- Health Science Programs
For More InformationCollege of Health Professions Department of Allied Health Sciences
500 Lafayette Ave. NE, Suite 106
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Location & Format
All undergraduate students begin their academic career on the Allendale Campus. Students in this major continue their upper division studies on the GVSU Health Campus, near the Grand Rapids Medical Mile.
This program is also available in Traverse City.Format: Face To Face
Those declaring an AHS major must choose one of the above emphases and follow the curriculum guidelines for that emphasis. In addition, every student must complete:
- Medical Terminology
- Intro to Health Professions
- Health Care Management
- Intro to Health Care Research
- Ethics and Legal Responsibilities
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) states that ten of the 20 fastest growing occupations are healthcare related. They also predict 3.2 million new wage and salary healthcare jobs between 2008 and 2018.