Computer Engineering, B.S.E.
Computer engineers design and build systems to tackle problems big and small. The computer engineering field integrates electrical engineering with computer science to analyze and solve problems across these two disciplines. Computer engineers design computing systems and develop embedded software for applications ranging from avionics to consumer electronics.
Students are prepared for engineering careers and leadership roles through B.S.E. and M.S.E programs that integrate academic studies with hands-on learning and paid professional experiences in actual engineering companies. Please visit gvsu.edu/grad/mse for details of the M.S.E. program.
Why Study Computer Engineering at Grand Valley?
- Program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, abet.org.
- Personal attention in small, student-focused classes.
- Extensive hands-on and project-based learning.
- State-of-the-art teaching facilities and laboratory equipment.
- Study/work abroad opportunities.
- Three semesters of paid cooperative-education work experience prior to graduation in recognized domestic and international engineering companies.
- Industry sponsored capstone design projects.
- Strong support from our industrial partners who fund many engineering scholarships for GVSU students.
- A nearly 100-percent placement rate into work or graduate school for our graduates.
- A combined bachelor's/masters program that allows high-achieving students to complete both the B.S.E. and the M.S.E. in as little as five calendar years.
For More InformationSchool of Engineering
136 Kennedy Hall
Location & Format
A degree in computer engineering involves coursework in:
- Computer programming
- Data communications
- Circuit analysis
- Digital systems
- Embedded system design
- Software engineering
- Computer architecture
- Cooperative education
The following are just a few career options for computer engineers:
- Embedded system engineer
- Computer engineer
- Digital system engineer
- Software developer
- Hardware engineer
- Network engineer
“Grand Valley engineering has taught me how to learn. I have the potential to discover new things and make a difference in industry everyday.”
CE ALUMNUS AND EDISON ENGINEER, GE AVIATION