- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
Health communication professionals play important roles in relaying information between consumers who are aware, but often technically naive, and a system that is operated by highly skilled, educated, technical professionals. Skilled health communication professionals have become central to the success of the health care industry, including its success in maintaining wellness and conquering disease.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Health communication is one of eight undergraduate majors offered by Grand Valley's School of Communications. Students also may choose an emphasis in one or more of the other areas:
- Film and video production
- Communications studies
- Advertising and public relations
The program requires the following courses:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Fundamentals of Advertising
- Health Care Management
- Health Communication Systems
- News Reporting
Health communication graduates are employed by:
- Hospitals, HMOs, and other health-related organizations
- Pharmaceutical companies
- State and local health departments
For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/soc/.
Why Study Health Communication at Grand Valley?
- The study of communications at Grand Valley emphasizes a broad understanding of the field combined with a solid knowledge of specific technical skills.
- Foregrounding a liberal arts context, emphasis is placed on learning-by-doing.
- Students frequently participate in creative performances, exhibitions, and publications related to their chosen major field of study.
- State-of-the-art facilities support current and emergent technologies and enhance student competence in their use.
- Students can work in internships in a professional setting.
For More Information
School of Communications
“I couldn't help myself. Once I took an introductory communications course at GVSU, I was hooked. I love the subject of communication studies because it's not only incredibly fascinating, but also entirely relevant to my career, my personal life and everything in between.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University