Education - Higher Education (College Student Affairs Leadership)
Master of Education (M.Ed.)
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Higher Education program emphasizing college student affairs leadership is designed to develop professionals who have strong backgrounds in educational theory and research, traditional and adult learners, and the role of student affairs in institutions of higher education.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
A graduate assistantship or practicum is an important experience for an individual who wishes to develop a career in college student affairs. Graduate assistantships and practica provide the foundation for developing appropriate skills and for gaining relevant career experience needed to be viable in today's job market.
The college student affairs leadership emphasis includes foundation courses, emphasis area courses, concentration courses, and elective courses for a minimum of 42 credits. The program is designed to be completed in two full-time academic years.
The CSAL curriculum prepares students for professional positions in institutions of higher education in a variety of areas such as:
- Academic advising
- Financial aid
- Judicial affairs
- Multicultural affairs
- Recreation and wellness
- Student affairs
Why Study Csal at Grand Valley?
- Opportunities for internships and practica, allowing students to pursue specialized areas of interest.
- Professional development for graduate students through an intensive orientation/training program.
- Monthly in-service training and occasional conference participation.
- Regular practica learning opportunities.
- Staff that cultivates friendship and support among graduate assistants, to encourage success and increase effectiveness in their academic endeavors at Grand Valley and later in their careers as student affairs practitioners.
“The CSAL program combines the best educational, work, and social aspects into a singular master's program experience. The combination of knowledgeable faculty, cohort classroom experiences, and diverse assistantship/practicum opportunities created an unforgettable learning experience. I now have the educational foundation, practical experiences, and social skills necessary to excel in the realm of student affairs.”