Biomedical engineers are innovators whose designs enhance people's lives. They integrate the engineering and biomedical sciences to analyze and solve problems in biology and medicine. Thereby, they can design novel medical devices and build new artificial replacement components for the human body.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Students can earn an undergraduate minor in biomedical engineering in conjunction with one of our 5 engineering majors:
- Computer engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Interdisciplinary engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Product design and manufacturing engineering
The undergraduate minor and the M.S.E. degree in biomedical engineering involve coursework in:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Bioelectric potentials
- Biomedical imaging and image processing
- Engineering mechanics of human motion
- Medical device design
- Modeling of physiological systems
The following are just a few options for biomedical engineers:
- Biomedical equipment engineering
- Clinical engineering
- Design of artificial organs and medical devices
- Medical imaging
Why Study Biomedical Engineering at Grand Valley?
Students enrolling in a biomedical engineering program can expect:
- Personal attention in small classes and extensive hands-on and project-based learning in our student-focused, state-of-the-art facilities.
- Study/work abroad available.
- Three semesters of paid cooperative-education work experience prior to graduation in recognized domestic and international engineering companies, including leading biomedical companies.
- Acquisition of the skills and knowledge needed to bring innovative medical products to market.
- A nearly 100-percent placement rate.
- Scholarships and tuition waivers.
- An articulated bachelor's/master's program for high-achieving students to complete rapidly the B.S.E. in any of GVSU's engineering majors and the M.S.E. in biomedical engineering.
“I can directly attribute my success now to the education I got in the School of Engineering.”
ENGINEERING ALUMNUS FOUNDER AND OWNER OF MAGNUM ENGINEERING