- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
The Department of Writing at Grand Valley State University offers instruction in academic, creative, and professional writing. Students have the option to tailor the major to suit their professional and educational interests.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Students earn the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree after completing 42 major-specific credits. The modular curriculum allows students to determine their own course of study, balancing creative and professional writing interests. Students also complete an internship to enhance their writing skills.
For students who wish to add to their current major and enhance their writing, the program offers the option to minor in writing.
A degree in writing involves coursework in:
- Creative nonfiction
- Document design
- Magazine writing
- Professional writing
- Web writing
Students are well-equipped to pursue graduate school or to enjoy careers as:
- Grant writers
- Magazine writers
- Social media specialists
- Technical writers
Why Study Writing at Grand Valley?
- The department offers the option of a B.A or B.S. degree.
- The writing major involves liberal arts training in which students become critical readers, careful thinkers, and skilled writers.
- The department offers one of the few independent undergraduate writing majors in the country.
- Students who want to focus on professional or technical writing can do so in a program that exposes them to the latest technologies for print and web environments.
- The department routinely sponsors writing students for The Association of Writers & Writing Programs (AWP) Intro Awards and works closely with students who produce a student literary journal called fishladder.
- Students may also choose to graduate with distinction by completing a program that encourages them to pursue extracurricular writing activities.
For More Information
Department of Writing
“When it comes to real skills that I use every day in my career as a promotions director in Las Vegas, writing courses like Document Design and Writing for the Web were great preparation for my professional career. It was an excellent program, and I am so glad I took those courses.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University