- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
Students focus on crime and violent behavior from viewpoints grounded in the traditional humanities and the social sciences. Although they are schooled in the practical knowledge and skills they will need in the criminal justice profession, students also receive thorough preparation in the arts and sciences.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Grand Valley's unique combination of practical skills training within the context of a liberal arts education prepares graduates for a wide range of careers. The following degrees are offered to criminal justice majors:
- The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
- The Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Visit gvsu.edu/cj for details.
Coursework in criminal justice covers a variety of subjects, including:
- Constitutional rights
- Corrections process
- Courts process
- Issues in criminal justice
- Juvenile justice
Graduates are employed in a variety of human service professions, including:
- Correctional case workers
- Juvenile case workers
- Law enforcement officers
- Parole and probation officers
- Security personnel
Why Study Criminal Justice at Grand Valley?
- Grand Valley has one of the larger criminal justice programs in the country and faculty who are nationally recognized for contributions in the discipline.
- Faculty members offer students the opportunity to engage in a wide variety of research and service-learning opportunities.
- The program offers students the chance to complete an internship in the agency or organization of their choosing.
- The program provides learning opportunities to assist faculty in the field, gathering and analyzing data on community issues and evaluating community programs.
- Class sizes are small and intimate, providing for a learning environment conducive to dialogue and meaningful interpretation of material.
- Students are given the opportunity to take classes from faculty with diverse interests and practical experiences.
“The School of Criminal Justice at GVSU is second to none. The professors, faculty, and advising staff truly care about student success, which is one of the many reasons that the program is one of the best in the discipline.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University