Transitions Leaders are undergraduate volunteers that facilitate sessions for new students about the mission, vision, and values of the university. Transitions Leaders use their personal experiences and their own transition to university life while facilitating the educational sessions.
The staff varies between 150-175 students each year. Eight student leaders, referred to as the "Go Team," assist in coordinating this large staff. The Go Team provides them with the resources to educate and welcome our first year students.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Transitions Leader
Transitions Leader will:
- Facilitate modules to their assigned group of first-year students on critical thinking, diversity, student engagement, time management, healthy lifestyles, and personal safety.
- Attend all scheduled training dates and times.
- Attend the entirety of the Transitions Program.
- Work during one pre-assigned late-night Transitions event.
- Attend the housing meeting for the floor or building which they have been assigned (if applicable).
- Be on time!
Conduct and Behavior
- Uphold the mission and values of Grand Valley State University.
- Be a good role model of the Laker Values to their group of first-year students and other Transitions Leaders.
- Be a positive representative of the whole university and do not endorse any one group or organization within it.
- Ensure that their assigned group of first-year students is completing each evaluation assigned to them.
- Complete an assigned evaluation of the whole Transitions Program.
- Ensure that all evaluations are returned to the GO TEAM Leader to which the Transitions Leader has been assigned.
- Maintain accurate attendance records of participants throughout the program.
- Be an existing Grand Valley State University student in good standing.
- Maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (G.P.A.) of a 2.0.
- Personal: Embraces diversity; outgoing; articulate; friendly; resourceful; takes initiative; responsible and organized; empathetic; conversational; trainable
- GVSU Specific: demonstrates pride in GV; knowledgeable about GV
Page last modified November 25, 2013