Sustainable Agriculture Project
Baked Creamed Spinach
2 lb of fresh spinach.
1 ½ cups of hot milk.
1 cup of cheddar cheese, grated.
2 tablespoons of butter.
2 tablespoons of flour.
1 teaspoon of salt.
Pinch of pepper.
Pinch of nutmeg
1. Trim and wash 2 lb of fresh spinach.
2. Place in a suitably-sized pot with water still on the leaves.
3. Cover and cook only until wilted.
4. Allow to cool, and then squeeze out the excess water.
5. In a saucepan, melt the butter and then add the flour.
6. Whisk and gently cook for 3-4 minutes.
7. Add the milk; bring to a boil.
8. Add the salt and a pinch of pepper and nutmeg.
9. Cook for about 5-6 minutes.
10. Combine the sauce with the spinach and ½ cup of grated cheese.
11. Spoon into a baking dish, then top with the other ½ cup of grated cheddar.
12. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 20 minutes.
13. Serve as desired.
Cranberry Spinach Salad
Makes 8 servings.
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
1 pound spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
1 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons minced onion
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir almonds in butter until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and let cool.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, onion, paprika, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and vegetable oil. Toss with spinach just before serving.
3. In a large bowl, combine the spinach with the toasted almonds and cranberries.
Spinach and Bacon Quiche
6 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Salt and pepper
2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach, packed
1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust, fitted to a 9-inch glass pie plate
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Combine the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender.
3. Layer the spinach, bacon, and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture on top.
4. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the egg mixture is set.
5. Cut into 8 wedges.
Spinach Artichoke Dip
14 oz of artichoke heart.
1 clove of garlic.
2 cups of freshly chopped spinach.
½ cup of parmesan cheese.
½ cup of mayonnaise.
Grated white cheese.
Salt and pepper, to taste.
1. Mix everything except the grated cheese together.
2. Place the mixture in an oven-proof dish; then top with the cheese.
3. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 10 minutes or until spinach is tender and the cheese nicely melted.
4. Serve with tortilla chips.
Page last modified January 17, 2013