Skip to main content

Study Abroad

Partnership Academics

This guide is for students participating in a GVSU Partnership Program. 

Step 1: Research Courses Offered at the Host University

Research courses offered at the host university you've selected. Some courses are only available to local students. Therefore, it is important to review courses that are open to study abroad students. 

To access each university's course hand book: Program Search > Type in the name of the partnership university you will be attending > Click on the "Additional Information" link under the university name > Scroll down to "Academic Program and Courses"


Step 2: Review Existing Course Equivalencies

Some courses have already been approved to transfer back to GVSU a certain way. To view these courses, see Pre-approved Course Equivalencies

If there is an existing course equivalency for the course you wish to take abroad, simply indicate the course you plan to take abroad on the Departmental Course Approval Form and turn it in to the Padnos International Center. No signature required. 

Step 3: Request a Course Equivalency

If the course you would like to take abroad has not already been approved, you will need to request a course equivalency from a relevant GVSU department to determine how the course would transfer back to GVSU.

To request  a course equivalency, you must contact the appropriate department contact (see below) by sending them an email (see Sample Email) or meeting with them in-person to fill out the Departmental Course Approval Form together. For more information, review the Course Approval Step-by-Step Instructions

Review the Academic Planning Form with your academic adviser. 

The following information must be provided for each course you're seeking an equivalency for:

  • Detailed overseas course description (a syllabus is preferred)
  • Number of contact hours

If you are having any difficulty finding the above, contact the Padnos International Center for assistance.

Step 4: Send Forms to Padnos International Center

Emails with course equivalencies listed should be forwarded to Rebecca Hambleton at Completed 'Departmental Course Approval Forms' should also be turned in to Rebecca Hambleton.

Step 5: Fulfill General Education Credits (Optional)

Courses taken abroad can be used to fulfill General Education requirements including Issues, Foundations & Cultures and Supplemental Writing Skills.

Page last modified January 5, 2017