“Live, Learn, Lead” is the philosophy that drives the Honors College curriculum at GVSU. Study abroad allows students to experience this first hand almost anywhere in the world. Imagine walking through a crowded street filled with the delicious aromas of the food vendors and fish dealers in Costa Rica, or studying development and social change in Nepal.
Honors students who choose to study abroad will live in a foreign country, immersed in a culture different from their own. Students will learn from a unique perspective and through immense self-discovery. Students will lead in their fields through developing in-demand global skills like cross-cultural communication, international connections, confidence and adaptability.
Honors Curriculum Requirement*
Students may substitute a course they take abroad for an Honors requirement such as a Social Behavioral Science, Life Science, Physical Science, Art, World Perspectives, and more.
Students may complete or work on their Junior Seminar credits abroad. Students aiming to complete their Junior Seminar abroad should look for highly-focused, topic-specific courses with a strong writing component and must have approval from the Honors College Director.
Students can complete or work toward Honors Senior Project requirements while abroad. For more information, discuss this option with your advisor and/or the Honors College Director.
* To confirm the specific course(s) you take abroad will fulfill this honors requirement, please contact the Honors College directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with a course description and/or syllabus.
- Courses will be reviewed on a case by case basis through the course equivalency process. Please contact Robyn Toth at email@example.com with course descriptions and/or syllabi to confirm the course(s) you took abroad will fulfill a specific honors requirement.
Keep in Mind
- Once you have selected a program, be sure to meet with your adviser at least three months prior to departing for your program.
- Be sure to explore both GVSU and non-GVSU options by browsing the Program Suggestions below. Students are not limited to GVSU study abroad programs.
- There are several opportunities to intern and or volunteer while abroad.
- Students are also able to fulfill general education requirements abroad, including their General Education Issues requirement.
The Honors College organizes two faculty-led programs:
Haiti: Water, Environmental Issues and Service Learning (spring/summer 2018)
Ghana: Cultural Exchange and Service Learning (spring/summer 2018)
PLEASE NOTE: These are not your only options! Honors students can choose to participate in faculty-led, partnership, non-GVSU or internship abroad programs. We highly encourage you to visit the Padnos International Center for study abroad advising!
For a sense of what some students have been doing and seeing, see the following blogs and videos:
Check out the interactive map and place a pin where you have been or would like to go! This is also a great way to see where and what other students, staff, and faculty are doing abroad.
117 Frederick Meijer Honors College