Academic Planning: Partnership Programs

The information below is relevant to students participating in study abroad programs where credit will be transferred back to GVSU from a host institution. For example: Partnership Exchange Programs, Partnership Affiliate Programs, and Non-GVSU Programs.


Now that you've determined which degree requirements you would like to fulfill abroad, here's what you need to do next: (If not, click here)


Step 1: Research Courses Offered at the Host University

Research courses offered at the host university you've selected. Some courses are only available to local students. Therefore, it is important to review courses that are open to study abroad students. 

To access each University's course hand book: Program Search > Type in the name of the partnership university you will be attending > Click on the "Detailed Information" link under the university name > Scroll down to "Academic Program and Courses"


Step 2: Review Existing Course Equivalencies

Use the Existing Course Equivalencies for Partnership Universities to look up how the course would transfer back to Grand Valley. If there is an existing course equivalency for the course you wish to take abroad, simply indicate the courses you plan to take abroad on the Departmental Course Approval Form and turn that in to the Padnos International Center without a signature.


Step 3: Requesting a Course Equivalency

If a course you would like to take abroad is not listed on the any of the existing course equivalency charts, you will need to request a course equivalency from a relevant department to determine how the course would transfer back to Grand Valley.

To request  a course equivalency, you must contact the appropriate department contact by sending them an email or meet with them in-person to fill out the Departmental Course Approval Form together.

The following information must be provided for each course you're seeking an equivalency for:

  • Detailed overseas course description (a syllabus is preferred)

  • Number of contact hours

If you are having any difficulty finding the above, contact the Padnos International Center for assistance.


Step 4: After Obtaining Course Equivalency

Emails with course equivalencies listed should be forwarded to Chris Borda at Completed Departmental Course Approval Forms should be turned in to Chris Borda.


Step 5: Fulfilling General Education Credits (Optional)

Courses taken abroad can be used to fulfill General Education requirements including Issues, Foundations & Cultures and Supplemental Writing Skills.


*GVSU Partnership/ Non-GVSU Program Academic Policies


Page last modified November 7, 2013