Getting Involved With Student Senate
Thank you for your interest in the Grand Valley State University Student Senate. There are many ways that you can become involved with YOUR Student Senate.
Speak your Mind
The Senate convenes every Thursday for a meeting of the General Assembly. All members of the campus community are welcome to observe and/or address the Senate during General Assembly meetings. There are three opportunities (beginning, middle, and end) for public comment at each meeting. Check our schedule for times and locations. Can't make any of these times? Fill out this form with your comment or concern!
While programming is not our primary focus, the Senate does host a few of its own events including Last Lecture and University Leadership Round Table. On a larger scale, Student Senate collaborates with the Laker Traditions Team and other student organizations to host campus-wide events such as the Battle of the Valleys charity competition and Presidents' Ball. We depend on the efforts of numerous volunteers to make our beloved campus traditions possible each year.
Become A Senator
There are two ways to become a Student Senator:
- Apply for a vacant seat:
- Students can apply for one of the six open seats in the fall, or as vacancies occur throughout the year.
- Applicants applying for a vacant seat must interview with the Senate Resources Committee, and will be conducted in accordance with the Student Senate Bylaws and Policies and Procedures
- Click here to download an application!
- Run for election
- Toward the end of the winter semester each year, the student body elects 44 of the 50 Senators for the upcoming academic year.
- Any interested undergraduate or graduate student can secure a spot on the ballot by filling out an election packet and obtaining 75 student signatures and two faculty signatures.
- A university-wide election is held online during the elections. The 44 candidates with the most votes are elected to the Student Senate
- 6 of the 50 seats are reserved for incoming students and are filled at the beginning of the fall semester
- Know qualified individual
- If you think you know a student who you think would be a good individual for the Student Senate, please fill out this form to nominate the individual