Who we are:
Psi Chi is the international Honors Society for psychology majors and minors. The benefits of membership include:
- Recognition of the hard work you have put into your studies. Your status as a member can be referenced on graduate school or job applications.
- Once you become a member, you will receive a certificate suitable for framing, and you become eligible to wear honor cords at graduation.
- You will receive the national Psi Chi magazine Eye on Psi Chi. This magazine if full of information such as tips for applying graduate school, or finding a job.
- Psi Chi offers a number of grants and scholarships, particularly for student research.
- Members of Psi Chi can submit their senior projects (or other research) for presentation at the Midwestern Psychological Association in May of each year. Those members who are accepted and present receive financial assistance for their trip to Chicago and a certificate acknowledging their achievement. Members can also submit their data based research papers for publication in the Psi Chi Journal of Undergraduate Research.
- Psi Chi meets regularly (see meeting times below). Most meetings include guest speakers who present on a variety of topics relevant to the field, such as graduate school applications, taking the GRE, research opportunities, and professional opportunities.
- Participation in Psi Chi will allow you to meet and befriend other motivated psychology students. Psi Chi is active in community service and offers many opportunities for gaining leadership experience.
To be eligible for membership students must:
- Have completed at least 3 semesters of college study
- Have completed 9 semester hours of psychology courses
- Be ranked in the top 35% of one's class in general scholarship (We will find this out for you)
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in cumulative grades.
- Be willing to pay a ONE TIME fee of $45 for a lifetime membership to Psi Chi.
- Be willing to pay chapter dues ($10 per semester).
- Be willing to complete 5 hours of community service per semester
- Apply by September 28, 2012!
How to apply:
- Stop by the psychology office located in 2224 AuSable.
- Follow this link for a downloadable version of the Psi Chi application http://www.psichi.org/downloads/ You must fully complete the membership application AND the registration card.
- Return both completed forms with a check for $55.00 made payable to "GVSU Psi Chi" to the main office of psychology (2224 AuSable Hall). If you do not qualify (perhaps due to class ranking), we will let you know and we can either return your check or destroy it. If you qualify, we will contact you regarding membership, induction activities and meetings.
Contact the faculty advisor or one of the Psi Chi officers or come to one of our meetings, we will be happy to assist you. --> GVSUpsichi@gmail.com
Visit our website for more information and to find a complete schedule!
Thank you for your interest.
Your 2012/2013 Psi Chi Officers,
- President: Patricia Bain
- Treasurer: Justin Blucher
- Secretary: Jessica Rhodes
- Historian: Jackie Main