WHO CAN ENTER THE COMPETITION?
How do I sign up?
Click DataFest to sign up. Please fill out the form fully. Only one member of your team needs to register by February 17th, they will need every member's name and e-mail address. Each member will receive a survey later asking them to confirm that they are participating in the event. The registration deadline is Friday, February 17, at midnight. To do so, simply check the appropriate box on the registration form. These will be approved on a rolling basis, and you will find out within a few days of applying.
When is the event?
- The weekend of March 24 – 26; the event starts 5 p.m., Friday, March 24 and will conclude by 5 p.m., Sunday, March 26.
Where is the event?
- The event will take place in various locations within Mackinac Hall (primarily first floor, Wing A) on the Allendale Campus of GVSU.
What does the event entail?
- Participating students will be introduced to the source of the data on Friday night. The remainder of the weekend is spent deciding on a research question of interest, preparing the data for analysis, analyzing the data, and preparing a presentation highlighting the findings. Grand Valley is only one of many schools participating in this event which is sponsored by the American Statistical Association (ASA). Weekend competitions run from the middle of March until early May.
Who is eligible to compete?
- Any GVSU undergraduate student is eligible to compete.
How do I sign up?
- Go to https://www.gvsu.edu/stat/datafest where there’s a registration link. The required information is (1) name of team; (2) every team member's name and e-mail address (only one registration for a complete team is needed). The registration deadline is Friday, February 17. There is no registration fee.
After registering, then what?
- The number of participants is limited to 30. Once a team has been accepted to participate, each team member will be asked to provide additional information.
What resources are permissible to use?
- You are welcome to bring your own laptop with any data analysis tools pre-installed; there is no limitation on which software you can use. Make sure there is sufficient room on your laptop for a dataset of approximately 1.5 GB. If you don’t have a personal laptop to use, access to university computers will be provided.
What are some of the competition rules?
- Each team has two – five team members.
- Team members can come and go as they please; all team members will have access to Mackinac Hall throughout the weekend; but all work associated with the competition has to be done on-site; a steady supply of food, beverages, and snacks will be provided!
- It's a competition, but a friendly one, so collaboration between teams is not only allowed but highly encouraged. Official DataFest@GVSU consultants (grad students, faculty, business and industry representatives, etc.) will be available throughout the weekend to provide advice with any questions you might have. Web surfing for information is fine too. Other outside help is not permitted.
- The source of the data will be kept secret until the start of the competition; after that, the source of the data is to be kept quiet until after May 5, 2017 when the last competition has been held.
What about food?
- A steady supply of food, beverages, and snacks will be provided throughout the weekend!
What do the winning team members receive?
- Presentations are judged in three categories: Best Insight, Best Visualization, and Best Use of External Data. Winning team members will receive complimentary ASA student memberships, medals, certificates and - - most importantly - - bragging rights!