Research & Writing Resources
GVSU Library Subject Guides
- Almanac of Policy Issues "Background information, archived documents, and links on major U.S. public policy issues."
- OnTheIssues.org "Every political leader on every issue."
- PolicyBot "The Internet's most extensive clearing-house for the work of free-market think tanks"
- Political Information "A search engine for politics, policy and political news."
- Public Agenda "The new PublicAgenda.org is set up to provide both citizens and leaders with the tools they need to tackle tough problems."
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center "A virtual library of resources designed to aid students in the study of today's hottest social issues."
- Proquest Congressional "Congressional publications, legislative histories, member biographies, committee assignments, voting records, and financial data; and the full text of key regulatory and statutory resources."
- Fed Stats "The gateway to statistics from over 100 U.S. Federal agencies"
- Fedworld "Making it easy to locate government information." Managed by the National Technical Information Service (NTIS).
- GovEngine.com "The premier Federal, state, and local government site on the Internet." Operated by GovEngine, Inc., a Florida non-profit organization dedicated to promoting e-Government initiatives.
- GPO Access "Disseminating official information from all three branches of the Federal Government." A service of the U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO).
- GovSpot "A non-partisan government information portal designed to simplify the search for the best and most relevant government information online." Operated by StartSpot Mediaworks, Inc.
- SciTechResources.gov "A catalog of government science and technology web sites." Managed by the National Technical Information Service (NTIS).
- SourceOECD "The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development's online library of statistical databases, books and periodicals."
- State and Local Government on the Net "A directory of official state, county, and city government websites." Operated by HelloMetro, Inc.
- USA.gov (formerly Firstgov) "Official information and services from the U.S. government." Administered by the U.S. General Services Administration.
- Yahoo "Government" category
Scholarly Research Articles
If you are on campus, your IP address should be recognized and allow full-text access to journal articles when GVSU has a subscription. (If you are off-campus, you should use the GVSU library databases with you login.) The journal publisher's databases will often have more recent articles than are available in full-text through the library's EBSCO and First Search databases.
The following databases will access most relevant full-text articles available through the library databases. If you desire an article not available on-line, note the name of the journal and look it up in the library catalog. It may be in another database or available in hard copy.
- EBSCO Go to "Academic Search Premier," click the "choose databases" tab, check "Business Source Complete," and click "continue." (This will allow a simultaneous search of both EBSCO's relevant, full-text databases.)
- First Search Select both "Wilson Select Plus" and "ECO"
- ABI/INFORM Global
- Oxford Scholarship Online "access more than 1300 books from Oxford University Press in the areas of Philosophy, Religion, Political Science, and Economics and Finance."
The following guides and links are provided to assist SPNHA students taking public and nonprofit administration classes. These are general guides and instructions may differ from those given in particular classes. Students should always refer to class material for specific instructions and grading criteria.
Student Guide to Avoiding Plagiarism Sandra Rhoten, California State University, Fullerton
Grand Valley Library "Citing Sources" page
Hoffman's picks for extracurricular reading
The following are books that I've recently read, or am currently reading, and have provided me with insights into how the world works.
- The Origins of Political Order Francis Fukuyama 2011
- Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty Daron Acemoglu and James Robinson 2012
- Nonsense on Stilts: How to Tell Science from Bunk Massimo Pigliucci 2010
- The Fall of the Faculty: The Rise of the All- Administrative University and Why It Matters Benjamin Ginsberg 2011
- To Kill a Tiger: A Memoir of Korea Jid Lee 2010
- Steve Jobs Walter Isaacson 2011
- Comandante: Hugo Chavez's Venezuela Rory Carroll 2013
- The Park Chung Hee Era: The Transformation of South Korea Byung-Kook Kim and Ezra F. Vogel 2011
- The Lab Rat Chronicles: A Neuroscientist Reveals Life Lessons from the Planet's Most Successful Mammals Kelly Lambert 2011
- Christianity and Genocide in Rwanda Timothy Longman 2009
Other reading suggestions from the SPNHA faculty
- In Defense of Politics in Public Administration: A Value Pluralist Perspective Michael W. Spicer 2010
- Billions of Drops in Millions of Buckets: Why Philanthropy Doesnt Advance Social Progress Steven Goldberg 2009
- Wiki Government: How Technology Can Make Government Better, Democracy Stronger, and Citizens More Powerful Beth Simone Noveck 2010
- Social Movements and the Transformation of American Health Care Jane C. Banaszak-Holl, Sandra R. Levitsky and Mayer N. Zald 2010
- Healthy Aging: A Lifelong Guide to Your Well-Being Andrew Weil 2007
- Philanthrocapitalism: How the Rich Can Save the World Matthew Bishop and Michael Green 2008
- Mission Mystique: Belief Systems in Public Agencies Charles T. Goodsell. 2007
- Not by Faith Alone: Social Service, Social Justice and Faith-Based Organizations in the United States Julie Adkins, Laurie Occhipinti, & Tara Hefferan 2011
- The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood James Gleick 2012
- The Politics of Medicaid Laura Katz Olson 2010
- Keynes Hayek: The Clash that Defined Modern Economics Nicholas Wapshott 2012
- Administration and the Other: Explorations of Diversity and Marginalization in the Political Administrative State Kyle Farmbry 2010
- All But Forgotten: Thomas Jefferson and the Development of Public Administration Stephanie Newbold 2010
- When Chicken Soup Isn't Enough: Stories of Nurses Standing Up for Themselves, Their Patients, and Their Profession Suzanne Gordon 2011
- Remedy and Reaction: The Peculiar American Struggle over Health Care Reform Paul Starr 2013
- Urban Policy and the Census Heather MacDonald & Alan Peters 2011